Downloaded Puppy Linux yesterday

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Chuck57, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I went and spent some time downloading it yesterday, saved it to CD and am running it in VirtualVox as I type this. Linux has changed a LOT since 1994. This version, at least so far, is just as easy as Windows which is what I'm looking for EXCEPT for my old nemesis - the printer.

Can't make it see my USB ports or printer, HP 1209 psc which runs on the USB. Don't know if it would recognize the printer anyway, since it isn't in the list of printers, and no other HP printer listed is even close. That brings up the command line garbage, which I absolutely despise and don't understand.

So.......I'm downloading DSL Linux (Damn Small Linux) and will play with it. I'm sticking with the smaller versions 100MB (those I can find) and under. I don't want to spend all day downloading a 700 + MB file right now and want something small that I can put on a CD along with other things, and the fact that I haven't figured out how to make Virtualbox read a file on hard disk yet.

There's nothing like playing with software and not knowing what you're doing.

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

heh: Hey: welcome to my world. :cool:
    I am about to do the same sorts of things as I have a couple of days off next week: Ill be looking forward to your updates

Is there a lsit anywhere of what devices the various distros are 'good' with ?
    I will be trying Ubuntu and SuSE and maybe redhat: looking forward to it. :cautious:

HAve to bite the bullet and have a liitle fun.

ANybody know how to set-up an internet connection with the new Telstra set-up

..a googling I will go, a googling i will go...hi ho the derry oh, .....;)

3. Chuck57

This is where I find mine. DSL Linux won't copy to CD for some reason, so bye bye DSL Linux. This gives a lot of distros with, I guess, capability of running from CD. I'm staying with the smaller ones right now, as I said. About to give Slax a shot. I figure running them from CD in VirtualBox ought to be safe enough, even for me.

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

4. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

ANybody know how to set-up an internet connection with the new Telstra set-up?

What OS?
    More details?

Regarding Puppy and printer setup - you might have problems with the printer because you're accessing it from within a virtual machine. Did you try to search for the relevant driver?

Mrk

6. Chuck57

My printer, HP 1209psc runs on USB. I fooled with it some, but at one point I got a Windows pop up mentioning searching for drivers so immediately backed off. I wasn't sure why Windows wanted to look for a driver for a Linux OS.

Anyway, spent half of yesterday evening downloading Slax Kill Bill and too much time downloading Nero since Windows doesn't seem to like copying ISO files onto CD. Saved it to CD and am running Kill Bill now, and love it. But, same situation with printer. I think it's the VirtualBox, although I have USB etc enabled, it still won't recognize the printer, and this is using CUPS that came with it. Kill Bill is supposed to have WINE with it where I can run Windows, but I ain't found it yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.