Download, Review, Screenshots: Microsoft Security Essentials 4 Public Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PJC, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

why is the topic here since MSE is an antivirus program not just an antimalware program. Shouldn't it be with the antivirus section? I had to do a search of MSE to find this- I assumed it would be in the antivirus section
    robin

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Technically, it's an antimalware program.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials/product-information

3. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I've noticed that the network inspection module service is not running in the new version (NisSrv.exe). Has anyone else noticed this or do I have a flawed install? When I go to, Help > About Security Essentials, it shows the network module as being there. Maybe it has been combined with another service.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

nope not running.

I like it. The tray icon loads and turns green very fast. It appears there isnt a need to decide what action you want based on the threat because it pretty much auto-decides based on the threat. I am very impressed how light it is. So far so good.:thumb:

5. saakeman

saakeman Registered Member

6. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Mine is also not running, but in the review posted above I saw it running in the task manager.

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

According to a review on Youtube by languy99, you seem to be able to disable archives scanning. Hope I'm not wrong, though. :D

8. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Yes you can disable it. It's under setting ---> advanced. Just uncheck it ;) :D

9. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

After a manual update I got these error messages, and realtime protection switched off. Not sure yet if firewall (OA free) might have caused (but don't think so) and will see if issue recurrs. Reboot resolved issue in this case also.
    edit : Problem uploading ss attachments to show this..will try again later

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  10. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

This is the reply I received on the MSE forum:

"In MSE 2.0 the NIS module would only normally run if the exploits it protects from were not yet patched via their related Windows Updates. This is done to save processoing power and network performance, since once patched the exploits are no longer available anyway."

"To be a bit more clear, NIS actually runs at startup to test whether or not the necessary patches are in place, but then terminates itself if they are and so it's services aren't necessary."

So, it seems to be normal if your patches are up to date.

11. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

nope- it is technically an antivirus program- gets rid of viruses as in your other quote- viruses are in antivirus programs not antispyware programs

Here look at offical microsofts website

"The anti-annoying, anti-expensive, anti-virus program"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

it says it all

robin

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Nonsense. There is no such thing as strictly antivirus program. They have all evolved to cover all kinds of malware.

I just wonder what does Microssoft enhance considering it looks exactly the same in 4th version as it did in the first one.

13. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Nope; MSE "Alerts notify you when spyware, viruses, or other malicious software..." (as linked by ronjor)

So it removes spyware(=malicious software), viruses(=malicious software) and other malicious software.
    Hence, it's an antimalware program.

14. m00nbl00d

A relative of mine has seen the error message about MSE not being able to turn its real time protection.

But, my relative is running MSE v2. A session log off sufficed; it wasn't needed to reboot.

I checked the MSE services, and they were all up and running. They could had been deactivated for some reason. Odd. o_O

15. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

16. m00nbl00d

Those of you running non-English versions of MSE v2 who would like to run MSE v4 beta without uninstalling MSE v2, and instead upgrade on top, can do so by opening the Registry with administrator rights and change the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Client > Market to EN-US. Reboot. You'll then have MSE English version. Run MSE v4 beta installer to upgrade.

17. m00nbl00d

I think they have simplified MSE way too much. Now we can't configure it to monitor all files, incoming files or outgoing files. I suppose now it's all... At least, using the GUI. I still haven't looked at the Registry.

Also, I don't like not being in control of what actions to take when a threat/potential threat is found. MSE does have few FPs; still it does have them. I hope they bring it back.

I also hope they bring more control over what files to scan (all, incoming or outgoing).

What do you think about it?

-edit-

By the way, v2 used to have behavior monitoring... I've never seen it working, though... It doesn't seem to have it any more. Or, is it simply running in the background without an option to deselect it, just like Network Inspection System?

That's something I'd actually like to see in MSE v4... working... :D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

"Behaviour monitoring" is built into the "signatures" if I recall correctly. Also, it's a beta. I highly doubt they've even touched the UI since it looks exact same as v1 right down to the options.

19. m00nbl00d

They have modified the UI settings, a bit... under Settings. Real-time protection setting now only has a box to either select or deselect real-time protection.

v2 had:

* Scan all downloads;
    * Monitor file and program activity on your computer (where we could choose all, incoming or outgoing);
    * Enable behavior monitoring;
    * Enable Network Inspection System

The last two aren't important to be there. I do wonder whether behavior monitor actually does anything, though. But, the first two are, IMHO.

As you said, it's still beta; so, I hope they'll bring it back. No reason to take them away. I'll make a request to bring it back. Maybe others did it too, and more voices will help to bring it back.

20. FrankPU

FrankPU Registered Member

I absolutely agree. The simplification is excessive, we can not have some control over anything :(

21. m00nbl00d

The big issue is that people (Microsoft, etc) tend to believe that simple equals lack of security technologies and lack of configuration options. Simple security means that it's practically set and forget.

-edit-

What I mean with set and forget is that, once we configure it to our liking, it simply works in the background without bothering us 100% of the time. 2% of the time is OK. ;)

If Microsoft really is being picky about "simple", because it will only confuse MSE users, then by all means REMOVE ALL options from Internet Explorer. Aren't those options overwhelming to 99% of Internet Explorer users? lol Come on Microsoft, gives us a break, will you?

-end of edit-

There's a lot that could be done with MSE. It's actually quite funny the ad I've seen yesterday at a Microsoft's support page. I forgot to make a screenshot. :oops:

It said Paying for antivirus software is so 2008. :D Then, we see Microsoft taking away functionality from MSE, and also not making it be more than what it is. Quite ironic.

-edit-

I found the link -http://support.microsoft.com/ph/15931 :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

23. m00nbl00d

Thanks Ron for the link. :thumb:

It only shows that Default actions should still be present, IMHO. (I'm still reading the full thread there to see what are the overall thoughts about it.)

Those who want to set it to automatically quarantine threats, do it; those would like to be prompted for a decision, should be able to do it too.

Seriously speaking, 99% of users won't know whether or not something is, in fact, malicious or simply a false positive. If their antivirus/antimalware flags something, then for all they know it's a malicious file. They will delete it/quarantine. Or, if they deliberately downloaded the file knowing it's malicious, then they will run it.

The arguments in favor of automatic quarantine because of human error don't cut it, IMHO. In the end it's all about a balance between a protected system VS bricked system/applications. :argh:

I just hope we won't see more Google Chrome fiascoes... be with with itself or another application automatically removed.

I personally would prefer to set my relatives with a default action of alerting, and have the option to send me an e-mail with a log. All this should be password protected. (I actually happen to know they would come to me if their antimalware finds an infection. lol)

The thing is, with 99% of people you either decide to automatically delete whatever the antivirus/antimalware deems to be malicious and face with the consequences (a bricked system/application), or you set it to alert the user, and also face the consequences (a bricked system/application).

There's no win, after all. :eek: :D

24. FrankPU

FrankPU Registered Member

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.