Download Accelerator

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by flyted, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyted

flyted Registered Member

Ad-Aware has a update thats 72MB, with my dial-up thats over 4 hours, my session times out at 4 hours, meaning I can never download it. Dial-up is my only choice here due to no sat signal and cable the other option $60/mo when I have zero need for cable, I'm stuck. Its not as easy as just paying a extra $20/mo or I'd do it. My ISP includes a accelerator but its graphics only and its weak. I doubt there really is anything that can accelerate a dial-up download but I thought I'd ask, I see several programs and some are free. I'm at about 4.5k/sec which isn't bad but w/o an improvement I'll simply continue to miss out on large security upgrades. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello flyted,

If there is something that will truly speed up dial up, I never found it. I tried most everything that came along.

Broadband is the only answer be it cable or satellite if you can't use adsl.

3. flyted

flyted Registered Member

No sat signal. dsl and cable require "packages" and I don't want cable tv, but its required to get the internet. I thought I was probably screwed and now it seems even more likely. Just never thought the basics of security upgrades would ever get so big that it would exceed 4 hours. My problem. Thanks for the response.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Me either. :cool:

5. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I have my broadband through a cable company and I don't have a tv package with them. I watch my T.V. through satellite.

6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

7. flyted

flyted Registered Member

Thanks for the link. However, the very 1st sentence on the make says to make sure I'm using ver 8.1 or higher. 8.1 is what I'm trying to download.

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Before I got Broadband I used dialup I had a 56K modem, I tweaked my connection from 38k to 53k, I used cablenut software http://www.broadbandnuts.com/. It taps into the registry to change the values, you can also make sure your house wiring haves low signal loss. Like a direct line to the telco box and not a phone extension between the computer and the telco box. Check the links for cablenut website, there use to be websites that offered info on the INTERNET (Google is your friend). But I don,t know if that translates into real big download speed.

9. flyted

flyted Registered Member

Another good idea, thanks. I think I probably have done most of what they will mention, but I will look again. I went to a lot of dial-up forums a year ago when I realized I was going to be stuck with it a while. It won't hurt to try again though. Once I went to dsl years ago, I thought it would never even be possible to get stuck with 56k again anywhere in the U.S. I guess that's why we never say never.

10. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

11. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

This response doesn't directly address the primary issue, but have you considered changing antimalware products?
    There are quite a few around (such as the very good MBAM) that are a great deal smaller to download and update.

12. flyted

flyted Registered Member

That's another option. I already use MBAM and like it. Ad-aware has also been good, but your right, I may have to give up ad-aware if I can't find a solution and go with the lower MB products, 72MB seemed a little excessive anyway.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

flyted, a long time ago, when I was on dial-up, I used MetaProducts Download Express and it worked pretty good. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

JR

14. flyted

flyted Registered Member

Solution: As was pretty much expected, the dial-up connection was maxed out and no amount of tweaking helped much. I used a download manager from firefox that allowed me to save the download in 2 parts and complete it. For anyone else stuck with 56k, if you run XP, your modem is already set for max and if your downloads are 4.5-5k/sec, not much more you can do. Never did find any accelerators that worked for pure downloads of data. Thanks to all who replied, all were good ideas. Problem solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.