Double-Bind

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Starrob, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starrob

Starrob Registered Member

"The double-bind, first defined by anthropologist Gregory Bateson, is a situation in which you must choose between two alternatives both of which are unpleasant. A beautiful example, suggested by Mr. William S. Burroughs: Condition a draftee so he will immediately obey either the order "Stand up" or the order "Sit down," if given by a superior officer, then have two officers simultaneously order him to stand and sit down. Obeying the order means disobeying the second, and obeying the second means disobeying the first. Presumably, the subject would wig out."

Starrob

2. big ed

big ed Registered Member

The above example is a good reason why rolling a live grenade into the Officer's Mess has gotten so popular!

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

In psychology it is called approach-approach. In "Forbidden Planet", Robbie the Robot short-circuited when presented with the problem - i.e given a direct order that was in direct opposition to his prime directive. Luckily Robbie survived. He is one of my favorite characters as a youth and of all time.

Rich

4. big ed

big ed Registered Member

\

As we all now know Psychology, according to my Guru Tom Cruise, is a psuedo science.

ed

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi big ed,

lol. But in fairness to Tom Cruise (who really doesn't come off all that good on TV), I believe he was criticizing over-use of anti-depressants and other psychiatric drugs. Recent warnings from the FDA, in regards to the use of anti-depresants in adults and children would seem to, at least to some degree, support Cruise's concerns (though he states them in a very strident manner).

http://www.detnews.com/2005/health/0507/03/healt-234902.htm

My own feeling is that if I was locked in a room for 8 hours in one of these schoolrooms nowadays with some of these really boring teachers, no doubt I too would be classified as having ADD. Who wouldn't? :)

Rich

6. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hey Rich,

Aaah! How is it that when all those goobers achieve "Star" status they suddenly acquire some superior knowledge about everthing? The FDA's track record dosen't exactly inspire a heck of a lot of confidence in their findings either.

If I was locked in a schoolroom w/Tom's ex.....for 8 hrs I would be diagnosed as having a foot deformity (curled toes) and an unerasible smile!

Play on, big ed

PS...If I sound like a pessimist, so be it!....And yes...the Earth is flat!!

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Mmmmmmmmm!........Sorry Starrob mate your 'Simultaneous ' order by two Officers is incorrect, it would be impossible for them both to order 'Stand Up' or 'Sit Down at the same time because he would already be in one or the other positions to start with...if he isn't already seated or standing what other position could he be in??......Therefore and forthwith, the first part being the second instance of the second part, notwithstanding the direction of the wind at that particular moment........so, if one officer orders "Stand up" he must have already been sitting......it's very unlikely an order would be given to sit down if he is already sitting........I rest my case M'Lud......(Another case won by Perrychise)........ :D :D :D

8. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Actually, when I think about this strange anomally......why does marriage spring to mind?........Know what I mean....sometimes no matter what you do or say your still in the Doodoo.....How is it a woman can create that situation form nothing and a man can't, answer me that if you can........ :D :D ;)

Cochise, :cool:

9. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Uuuuuhhh,

The last one was a trick question, righto_O?

PS... Your take on the 'stand' and 'sit' issue is moot. If the guy just had a spat w/wifey he would be a'lying.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.