Don't Fear Internet Anonymity Tools

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Yes, of course. Sorry. :oops:

2. reb.

reb. Guest

WHY ? Why someone who concern about their gov. acts have to move whenever their rights violated ? Why not execise ur power every 4 yrs. Elected officials suppose to listen, to serve their citizens not to trample their rights. If officials are not fulfill their duties just kick them out of the ofices. But I will not bet my house on it since I seen too many people have the kind of thinking like YOu

3. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Wow this is a good thread lots of good info;

My own perspective;

I have been thinking about using Cotse and their highspeed service but in the back of my mind I can’t help thinking how easy it would be for any law enforcement, gov agency or as P2K put it “legal/quasi-legal (think MPAA/RIAA) entity” to create such a service and use it to funnel any wrong doers right in to their laps. While doing so they would also be submitting any non wrong doers who just wanted increased privacy to even more scrutiny than they would possibly have had if they stayed in a non-anonymous environment.

Not only that but I would think as soon as you start using any SSL and or proxy service including JAP or Tor it would send up a red flag to your ISP and any other “legal/quasi-legal (think MPAA/RIAA) entity” that hey this guy is trying to hide something we better start paying special attention to him now.

It almost seems better to try and blend in with the crowd than to hide in a closet as far as the internet is concerned.

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Ah, but if a large number of people use anonymising services for normal web use, then paying "special attention" to every user is no longer practical - especially if proxy servers are located in other countries.

One point worth stressing is that many countries are requiring ISPs to log details of all network traffic. This means that everyone is already being considered a criminal/terrorist/communist - anonymising services can counter this wholesale violation of privacy.

5. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Even if the anonymous user base you are entering is a large one you would still be narrowing the field for anyone looking to peer under your hood so to speak, thus increasing the odds of getting the unwanted attention that you tried to shelter yourself from in the first place.

I maybe just being paranoid but I would think any agency charged with the task of monitoring any kind of illegal internet activity would already have anonymous users lined up in their sights as their primary targets.

I appears to me going anonymous is really a damn if you do, damn if you don’t proposition these days

If that is the case then you might as well make using of all available anonymizing software and services as you can, I mean if they are determined to be that nosy there is no need to make it easy for them.

6. anon6

anon6 Guest

Hi,

I thought I'd mention that this thread and one post have been posted on this weblog: One Adventure: Surveillance in Toronto.

Various discussion on internet privacy and anonymity throughout, plus a Links page soon to come.

http://tinyurl.com/4bdxv

regards,
    -p

7. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Hey!

Look at the comments someone posted on that link that anon6 posted, that poster has got his head way way up a smelly place if you ask me!

Here is his comments to the article writer:

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hi Spanner!

To be fair, the guy with the blog who came here to promote it didn't say anything bad about Wilders. In fact, he linked to a couple of threads here. That slam against Wilders was left in an anonymous comment in the blogs "comment" section.

9. Paranoid2000

I had a look at security-forums - while it does have useful information, it appears to cover security from a general perspective and therefore lacks the detailed information on Windows security found here (in part due to the vendor forums) - in particular there hardly seems to be any mention of process control software like Process Guard or SSM and little discussion of trojans/anti-trojans.

10. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

Government (an incorporated enterprise like any other) is little more than an organized crime racket. They have guns and can use deadly force. They can break and enter. They can kidnap (arrest) and hold hostage (jail). They can extort funds and seize property.

What seperates government organized crime racketeers from a non-state sponsored private enterprise organized crime racketeers are mere symantics. They both work the same turf.

Dazed and Confused, wake up! Break out of that Duracell battery pod 'The Matrix' placed you in. You're living in a dream world if you think the government is a benevolent force there only for the greater good.

People like you cannot and should not be trusted. For it is certain you'll act out in accordance with The Matrix's (government) wishes, i.e., betray private confidences and serving as a snitch and witness for the police state, just as you and many others are programmed to.

See Act of 1871

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  11. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

My apologies, Dazed and Confused.

Upon reflection, I believe I was being a little too harsh.

Sorry. ;)

12. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Registered Member

I have just tried both Jap and TOR. Which in your opinion is better and provides the most annoymity. Or is really case of which one I prefere my self. I ike the way JAP has the easy to GUI. And the way you can change whihc route the data goes. Yet TOR seems more secure and I like the way Privoxy works with it to. What ar your opinions. I have had them both up and runnin now so its not a matter of what is easier to set up.

Thanks

Michael :)

13. Paranoid2000

Well, they both work in a similar fashion (using mix nets) but Tor has more servers in different countries as well as being faster in day-to-day use. Also all data is routed via 3 mix servers while JAP, by default, uses only one (Dresden-Dresden, which is arguably not a real "mix") though the other mixes offer 2. Tor also periodically changes the route used - JAP stays with the route (mix) you select.

The only downside is with websites that use your IP address to keep track of your session. Since Tor periodically changes your IP address, this can cause problems (see Using Spamgourmet with anonymizing proxies for an example) so keeping JAP in reserve for such sites is a good idea.

14. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Post used as a test by a banned individual has been removed - and consequently one response to that post.

Sorry about the other post, but it would make no sense now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.