Dogpile search engine...Spyware???

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Gigabyte, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigabyte

Gigabyte Registered Member

I can't get a search to pop up using dogpile. Is my anti spyware programs preventing it from loading if it is considered spyware. I hear that their toolbar is,but what about the actual search? Can anyone check right now to see it it works for them? o_O Thanks

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

It's working for me. Never had a problem with it.

snowbound

3. Gigabyte

Hmm. I have something blocking it... :oops:

4. dog

dog Guest

If you get a message such as 'connection refused', it'll be in your hosts file, open your hosts file with notepad, press Ctrl + F, enter dogpile in the search dialog bock and select find/find next, and either delete the entries or add a pound sign before 127.0.0.1 (example #127.0.0.1 dogpile.com) and resave your hosts. If you have your hosts file set to read only, you will have to change/update that before you can resave it, once saved change it back. ;)

HTH,

Steve

5. Gigabyte

He
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
    If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
    If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
    click Detect Network Settings
    Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
    If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer
    re's what I get..

6. dog

dog Guest

Did you check your Hosts file?

If you use HpGuru's Hosts, it's listed. ;)

Steve

7. Gigabyte

Yes. I changed the hosts by puttting a #,saved it and it still doesn't work.
    Think I may just stick with Google.

8. dog

dog Guest

There are more than a few entries, make sure you select find next, until you have found them all. You can ignore the dogpiler & dogpile 112.207.net entry, but I had a quick glance and there are a few entries that will prevent access.

Screen shot included. ;)

BTW - In my opinion Google is a much better search engine, anyway. ;)

Steve

Attached Files:

9. Gigabyte

I found the problem. That search uses clickit.go2net and when i changed it it worked fine. I think google is better also.Do I just remove the # and save it to stop it from loading like before?

10. dog

dog Guest

Yes, that's correct. ;)

11. Gigabyte

Now,it won't stop working. I took away the # and saved the file and it still workso_O :mad:

12. dog

dog Guest

You have to undo all the disabling you've done (ie using #) make sure your Hosts properties aren't set to read only, or it won't save the changes, also make sure you aren't saving it as a text file (ie. hosts.txt).

HTH,

Steve

13. Gigabyte

I only changed the clickit.go2net and i fixed that and the files aren't read only.Still works.Hmm,can't believe I'm complaining about something that works. :D

14. dog

dog Guest

One other thought, clear the cache in IE, as it maybe displaying the page from the cache, you could pull up dogpile in IE and try and do a search ... if it's just displaying it from the cache, it won't connect to give you a search result.

Also to double check you haven't missed something, just overwrite your hosts file by re-extracting it from HpGuru's zip, and all will be as it was. ;) (do this only if you are just using HpGuru's hosts, and you haven't combine added other hosts files to it.)

Steve

15. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Often you will have to close IE or FireFox and then reopen it in order for it to be blocked again.

Cheers :D

16. Gigabyte

Cleared the cache and everything is fine now. Thanks for the help>it's appreciated!! ;)

17. dog

dog Guest

My pleasure Gigabyte. ;) :)

Regards,

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.