Does your security software measure up?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tsilo, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I think this performance challenge is a good marketing. Norton products appeals mostly to average users that rely on reviews/awards/comparisons.

2. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

Looking at some of the figures comparing KIS
    KIS install size 612.44MB - The total of KIS directories is about 272MB on my Vista PC excluding the reports (65MB)
    Does NIS really only use under 7MB of memory
    Edit - I think I found it
    So NIS doesn't create a restore point by default during installation - what a wonderful piece of programming (a restore point on my system used about 500MB)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  3. icr

icr Registered Member

when ur computer is Idle(no browsing , scanning , music.......) norton uses around 6 MB

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, marketing blurb and hype is one thing, but the above is sheer stupidity... Symantec at its "best" once again. o_O :blink: :gack: :thumbd:

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1304739&postcount=4

And more important - a product can use 50 Mb and still be light and vice-versa - 10 Mb and the slowest thing that has ever existed . Low RAM usage is different from light and fast product.

My own opinion (I don't want anybody share it) is that NIS 2009 is the same crap as NIS 2005 - I would never use such a sluggish and huge product.

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

they must have reduced it or something i know when i was using ess its mem usage was hovering around 30 or so. but if they brought it down that is great. personally i think the new nis2009 runs faster on all my systems than eset smart does sorry to say. dont get me wrong man i liked eset especially the last version of nod32 but i had WAY to many issues with the new ess..NOW IM NOT SAYING eset sucks here..i miss the old nod myself lol.. i just happen myself to find that this new nis2009 runs faster than anything i have ever used personally so far.

7. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

-No Avast
    -No Avira
    -No GDATA
    -No Trustport

hmmmmmmmm-

They did include AVG, Kaspersky 8 (AV & IS) and Zone Alarm IS. I didn't check for F-Secure or Bitdefender.

Actually, it's probably going to be a fairly effective attention grabber, but unless and until the "challenge" includes more of the popular and top-rated AV applications and not just those hand-picked by Norton, the results are essentially meaningless.

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

lol, the results are completely meaningless right now, so it doesnt really matter what other products they put in into the comparison. tbh the test really looks like they picked random numbers out of a hat and put them beside diff AV's...

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Better then ever since i first struck a key on these machines.

My signature says it all, but normal surfing is always done with PG 3.5 + EQS (Alcyon Rules) + MAMUTU = " TOTALLY AWSESOME APP" capped off with little ole Kerio 2.15, Script Trap, SandboxIE and the King of Recovery, DriveSnapshot!!

Malware/Viruses are all but a a joke for me anymore and if they really feel a need to want to test their metal, Avira, Kaspersky and/or Nod32 or DrWeb can play see-saw with their latest waste of time. But HIPS is the absolute steel Kingpin that keeps my Third-Wheel attached to a confortable ride. :D

10. apm

apm Registered Member

but who care how much RAM it uses at idle, you are not doing anything at idle, what matters is how much resources it will consume when you are doing things, anyway i admit that nav 2009 is doing quite good also at not idle.

11. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I don't mean to offend you, but NIS 2009 is nothing like NIS 2005.

12. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

I totally agree!! NIS 2009 is a good suite. The 2005 and 2006 suite was horrible!!! NIS 2007 was a step forward, NIS 2008 was indeed a very good suite, and NIS 2009 is also very good.

Personally i dont use a suite, i use separate software for separate tasks. But when my friends asks for something to use i recommend NIS 2009.

13. maniac2003

maniac2003 Registered Member

Avira Free and Avast are in the list, just select Norton AV instead of IS. ;)

14. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Thanks for that maniac2003.
    I should have spent more time investigating the interface.

15. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

NOD32 v.3 AV is faster by 3% at boot time than Norton 2009 AV :rolleyes:
    try norton 09 vs. norton 08...

16. xan K

xan K Registered Member

Avira taking 356.34MB of disk space, that's BS. this whole thing is shameful, really shameful. :blink: :blink: :blink:

17. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Yeah, using similar nonsensical figures which include restore point and who knows what else makes this whole comparison plain useless. Similar kind of misleading comparative advertising is actually illegal in some civilized states (which includes the entire EU e.g.) :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.