Does Wilders have a Problem or is it IE7?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Recent switch to IE7, I find that I have to 'sign in' into Wilders, if the machine is/was 'off' like overnight. When I log into Wilders (user name & password) I can log off/on, reboot & all user info is remembered. Turn the box off & wait several hours, I have to manually type in the info. This did not occur with IE6. Also other sites that require a log in have the same problem.

When I wrote the above, at Microsoft's forum for IE7, I was told that this definitely a problem with the web site & not an IE7 problem!

So does Wilders have a problem?

Thanks & Take Care
    rico

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I think this is probably an issue with IE7 itself, or perhaps just a security setting in IE7 or another product, that removes stored passwords after some amount of time passes. Perhaps it's something deliberately meant to expire password accesses in cases where a PC is left shutdown or unattended for a long period of time? That seems likely because you said that you can log in and out normally, and even reboot immediately without an access problem. The fact that it is only an issue after the passage of time would tend to confirm it's something like that.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

IMHO, I agree with the preceding post. Most likely, you have your security setting to clear your cookies or cache on bootup or shutdown.

Go to Control Panels, Internet options and look at the various settings.

I do not have IE7. I am a Firefox user.

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I'm using IE7 too and I didn't notice your problem.
    It sounds inconsistent to me, why would your saved password survive a warm reboot and not a cold reboot?

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

If you do use CCleaner to remove index.dat file, there can be the problem.

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

It can't be stored in memory. From my point of view, I think you have a privacy option in another program which is set to clear the browser's cached files after a certain period of time.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    There's nothing wrong with Wilders. On the contrary.
    Mrk

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Don't start blaming Wilders for M$'s mistakes. :D

9. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys, I'm not in any way blaming Wilders for M$ problems. If this were so I would have to blame many more sites. I was asked at M$ forum to ask, if the problem exsisted at the web site or Wilders. I hoped the tone of my first post, would give the impression that, I believed the problem resided with M$. Many web sites requiring log in information, are not remembered after several hours or overnight.

Tom - CCleaner did have ticked index.dat for the life of IE6, I removed the tick, it was always ticked in IE6, I'll keep my fingers crossed & hope such a simple solution, solves this annoying problem. I'll post tomorrow if this was the cause.

Nadirah - No security or utilities have changed settings since IE6 no problems, install IE7 & the problem occurs. If its stored in memory where should I look?

Off to solve this mystery

Thanks Guys & Take Care
    rico

10. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Does the advice to limit talk to software apply to others only, ErikAlbert? :D

11. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Give that man a cigar, "TheTom_SK!"

This AM I was all prepared, credit card in hand, ready to call M$, & low & behold when I logged on, I did not have to type log in info. I do use CCleaner alot, an unticking "index.dat" seems to have solved the problem. Thanks again Tom!!!

Take Care
    rico

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

It was just a joking remark. Still personal problems with me? How is that possible, we don't even know eachother. If I make a bad remark on a software you like, don't take it personal, I'm talking about the software, not about you. I don't have any problems with bad comments on my softwares or ideas. I like these bad comments, which means I could be wrong. :)

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

What *frightens me* is that IE7 will probably be a push-package buried inside one of M$'s security patches. However -- not really a problem. I use IE only to take the tests at Greenborders.:p

Smilies don't always remove the sting from comments perceived as hurtful sarcasm. Language problems abound in a forum such as Wilders wherein are people from MANY languages and cultures. Learning a language's vocabulary is much easier than learning the potentially mean-sounding inferences and innuendos that are integral to certain words & phrases.:blink: :gack:

14. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi Forum,
    I have the same problem with Wilders, I use FF, it remembers passwords for SAS forum, Dr.Web Forum,And my Fishing Forum, but not Wilders.
    Any ideas what the problem could be.
    Badcompany.

15. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

BadCompany,
    Regarding login at Wilders with Firefox:
    1. If you're running Ccleaner, then you have to make some adjustments.
    Under the applications tab, remove the checkmark for "cookies".
    This change will mean that CClener will not remove any firefox cookies.

Next, open Firefox, check tools/options/cookies and make sure the cookie setting is "Keep cookies until they expire".

I use the Cookie Culler extension and protect the password cookie while I use the cookie culler to delete those not protected.

The above procedure allow my login to always be there using Firefox.

Attached Files:

16. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

most likely your cookies are not persisting.

17. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi groverh,
    I don't use CCleaner, and i have my setting in FF as you suggest.I don't have a problem with other forums I visit only wilders.
    BC.

18. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I just encountered this problem 1 min ago, I was trying to post a message in another thread.

And when I clicked Submit Reply, the forum displayed a page saying I'm not logged in! Grrrrrr, I put so much effort into posting my reply.......
    I think it has something to do with the browser's cache. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.