Does VMWare offer some protection

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by djg05, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I was wondering if VMWare running on Linux would give some protection against malware when running Windows, or does it still have the same vulnerabilities?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  2. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

It will give protection, similar to a sandbox probably better, but it will eat RAM and such.

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

I rather thougth it might act like that but nowhere have I seen mention of consuming RAM - a point to be aware of.

4. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

this will give your linux 100% security from anything happening in your windows guest. Not to mention also that you get all the benifates of Linux, with compatability of running windows inside linux so you can use your favorite software products :D but it will need you to set aside about 700 MB for it to work realy nice. Maybe you should try parallels since it is a more fast Virtualisation packags. Parallels will let you maximise and forget that your in a virtual world. . . . .

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

That looks interesting. Never heard of Parallels. Would have thought that if it was good there would be more mention of it. Have you or anyone else used it?

If you read the blurb about it, it so easily reads like a bit of MS advertising. There must be problems with it.

There is nothing urgent about this. I am just curious about other ways of subverting malware.

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That Parallels cost $50. And it doesn't sound that useful.

"Parallels will let you maximise and forget that your in a virtual world."

And VMWare Workstation 5.5 won't?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.