does Ti9 restore the mbr??????

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mantra, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i installed ubuntu and it write a bootloader in the first hd!

after some days i wanted to restore my xp in the first hd (with ubuntu bootloader installed), boot my pc with ti9(last build)cd and restore my image
    after the re-boot , i found again the ubuntu bootloader and my xp did not boot

yes i know there is an utility that format a floppy and recover the mbr , but why ti9 IS NOT ABLE to write my xp mbr?

with diskdirector can handle the mbr? for example erase?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  2. Mem

Mem Registered Member

The mbr is only imaged if you select the whole disk for imaging (upper left checkbox). If you only select a partition of the disk then the mbr is not included so would not be written back in a restore.

Attached Files:

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

sorry mate

i did image the first partition active where i installed my xp

are you saying that ti9 doen't store the mbr?

Attached Files:

4. Mem

Mem Registered Member

Yes, you imaged a partition which will not store the mbr. You must image the whole hard disk to store the mbr. You need to check the Disk 1 box to save all partitions and the mbr for that drive in the image. :)

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i have a 250 giga, and i have to do a image of my 250 hd :D :D :D :D :D

does ti9.1 include the mbr of a partiotion?

6. Mem

Mem Registered Member

There is only 1 mbr per hard disk - located at cylinder 0, head 0, and sector 1, the first sector on the disk. It includes the master partition and the master boot code. When BIOS starts the PC, it looks here to see how to boot the disk and load the operating system. I'm not sure what you are referring to in the partition... maybe the volume/partition boot sectors? That would be copied on a partition image.

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

ok thanks

there are utility of seagate , hitachi ,maxtor ...
    that perform a fast low format , does it clean the MBR ?

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There should be no reason on a good drive to ever fool with a low-level format. The common formatting is actually a so-called high-level format and it and its associated tools for writing the MBR are what you want to use in normal disk maintenance.

A low-level format writes things like the sector structure, servo tracks, bad block management and on IDE drives is considered to be good for the life of the drive.

Low-level formatting used to be a fairly common thing on old RLL drives but that was 15 years ago.

9. werne

werne Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.