Does RollbackRx use FD-ISR technology ?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Defenestration, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

As per title ?

RollbackRx allows up to 60,000 snapshots.

Is it true that Raxco's version only allows 10 ?

Any other advantages or disadvantages between the two versions ?

2. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

no theyre entirely different.if you search and read around the forum youll find your answers here and the softwares section. thats what i did. all you need to know is already posted.

have you tried any of them?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Most significant difference is FDISR, actually makes a copy of the entire c: structure. You can of course modify it so each snapshot is different. Each snapshot is bootable. Once in a snapshot all is normal windows IO

Rollback RX has it's own file system where it keeps track of what clusters belong to what file and what snapshot. When ever windows does IO it is passed thru Rollback's kernel driver to Rollback's index and the on to the disk.
    So in essence Rollback is only storing changes to the initial baseline snapshot.
    Based on some of the early problems which I think they are well on the way to resolving, I suspect 60000 snapshot, might be somewhat theortical. But yes you can have many more snapshots.

Pete

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I asked myself : "Do I really need 60,000 snapshots ?". Ten snapshots is more than enough for me. Keeping 60,000 snapshots under control is quite a bookkeeping you know. The number of FDISR archived snapshots is unlimited and that is more than 60,000 snapshots.

Each FDISR snapshot is an independent unit, while each RollbackRx snapshot is dependent on the base-line snapshot and I don't like that.
    That's why I also take full image backups instead of incremental backups. One little error and the card house collapses. I don't take such unnecessary risks in softwares that are supposed to save my skin.

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

60,000 is the figure they reckon their software can go up to, but in reality who would keep that many? I'd be surprised if anyone kept more than 20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.