Does RollbackRx Pro replace sys restore?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by zapjb, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I've always had good experiences with Win XP's system restore. This is how I use it.

I use system restore. But I realize it's limits. At least how it responds for me. Example on preparing to install a new program. I get everything cleared away using various diagnostic tools. Then I set a SRP (system restore point). Call it like Before Program X. Then I delete all other SRP's. SR works best for me when I have only 1 SRP. Then I install the new program. Play with a couple hours or days. If the new program messes up my system I choose a SRP Before Program X. Rinse & repeat. Never fails unless I mess up the steps.

OK now my questions. I just installed RollbackRx Pro. Does Rollback do at least everything system restore does? So making system restore completely useless/superfluous? So is it now safe & wise to disable system restore? Remember I've always had good experiences with system restore. So I don't want to get rid of system restore just to get rid of it. The only reason would be if system restore is no longer needed because of Rollback. Thanks.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think RollbackRx automatically disables System Restore. After Rollback you don,t need system restore at all. But if u uninstall Rollback, don,t forget to enable system restore manually.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yes it does. Thanks. I just checked after reading your response.:D That answers that.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  4. spm

spm Registered Member

Just to be precise here, WinXP (and WinMe) System Restore not only creates daily SRPs (which can also be scheduled in RBRx), but it also creates a SRP whenever an MSI-based installation or uninstallation is started (and it names those SRPs sensibly, so you can identify them easily).

If you are used to having these SRPs auto-created for you, and you sometimes make use of them, you might be disappointed to find that no such snapshots are created by RBRx.

RBRx Pro's scheduler does, I believe, have a facility whereby a snapshot can be created whenever a certain application is run. In this case, you could try scheduling an RBRx snapshot every time msiexec.exe starts. I'm not sure, however, how many snapshots RBRx will end up creating on an MSI-based installation, as more than one instance of msiexec.exe can run.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I haven't had System Restore turned on since I discovered FDISR. Same is true with Rollback.

6. spm

spm Registered Member

Sure - now that I have FD-ISR (Rollback Rx just had too many issues for me), I have also turned off System Restore. Even so, it does require a slightly different mindset if you are used to, and relied on, SRPs being created automatically on app installs/uninstalls - now I have to remember to create them manually with FD-ISR. This is why I posted above.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Of course you don,t need it with them.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

A bit off topoic but I have a question, if you Rollback with a USB memory key plugged in, will it affect memory stick as well. I think it happened to me while using SU that I lost data from USB memory stick also.

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

That sounds right. I'd think SU would see the USB as another HDD device.

10. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

You might already know your answer but I'll post it for others anyway. The answer is no it will not affest your memory stick. Rollback will only protect the first hard drive which would be drive 0 which is the one windows is normally installed on.

Thanks,

Chris

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, you are right. I just forgot the basic info of Rollback.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

And I think it deos not matter whether it is partitioned or not. I mean if you have one physical drive and you partition it into 3( C,D and E) before installing OS with OS installed in C, and u install Rollback then it will protect all partitions( C, D, and E).

There is another scenario, like I have one pysical drive with single partition C and OS installed. Now I partition my drive with some software( like partition magic) into three, C, D and E. After this I install RollbackRx, so what,s now. Rollback will protect all?

13. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Yes, in addition to taking a snapshot anytime you wish, Rollback Rx Pro's Task Scheduler facilitates automatic snapshots based on various criteria - including hourly, daily, weekly, every restart, and upon every execution of specified programs as defined by the user (such as msiexec.exe).

~pv

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  14. Chris12923

Yes if you install Rollback after you split your drive into more partitions then it will protect as many of those partitions as you want. You can select 1 or all.

Thanks,

Chris

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Chris, for an "official" support for Rollback in Wilders!

16. Chris12923

lol if someone sees you saying official support they'll make me start a vendor forum :) But your welcome :)

Thanks,

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.