Does NOD32 affect network speed?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by huangzhengliang, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huangzhengliang

huangzhengliang Registered Member

Hi,
    NOD32 scans everything before they're opened. Right?
    What I realise on the trial is that NOD32 downloads pictures and scans them before displayed on my internet browser. Without NOD32, pictures were shown as they were downloaded.
    I know NOD32 doesn't slowdown my computer but can it affect my internet speed?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Not to any noticeable degree.

Cheers :D

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Nod32 has no noticeable effect on network speed that i can percieve. Your choice of firewall however will effect its speed.

4. huangzhengliang

huangzhengliang Registered Member

Which quality firewalls are low on resources and have no affect on internet speed?
    I know Look 'n' Stop says my connection can run at peak performance while using its firewall but you have to pay for that. I heard there are many good ones where you don't have to pay.
    Thx.

*I did a leak test on NIS 2007 and it got penetrated on the first go. This was because it auto set the setting to 'custom' for this leak test. Default settings for NIS 2007 allows its firewall to auto set rules for programs without user interaction. This can be good but also bad. I opened up NIS2007 to block this leak test program and it got blocked when I tried the test again.

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

high performance firewalls: Jetico, Ghostwall, OA firewall, Sygate, Kerio 2.1.5. Not sure about Comodo, Kerio 4, Outpost and ZA.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Packet filters (such as CHX-I) would be the lightest afaik.

free firewalls you can try: Kerio 2.x (though discontinued) or Comodo

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since the Nod question has been answered....I have moved this thread here to our firewall forum for the non Nod32 firewall related discussion.

Bubba

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

@huangzhengliang,

I have not seen any direct affect from NOD on my internet connection speed. I have seen some slight slowdown when I install a firewall that makes changes to the LSP(Layer Service Provider ~ info) possibly as there may be some slight conflict with NOD IMON (IMON is NOD Internet Monitor) which does have settings within the windows LSP.

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Filseclab and CHX have least impact on network speed IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.