Does Logitech bundle spyware with its mouse or keyboard?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by nadirah, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I have heard lots of reports that logitech is bundling Backweb spyware together with some of its mouse/keyboard products, is this true? also upon visiting logitech's website, a WebTrendsLive.com TRACKING cookie is blocked. this cookie is blacklisted by Spywareblaster as a spyware cookie. Therefore i can say that logitech might have more tricks up their sleeves..... very strange...

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi nadirah,

Logitech is not the only one to use BackWeb to update their software. Other examples are HP/Compaq and Kodak.

Some information: http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/B/Backweb.asp

Regards,

Pieter

3. deadmanschest

deadmanschest Registered Member

It sures packs in the bloatware.....

:) Hi all;

Noticed this thread, and could not resist a shot at Logitech.

I was given a scroll wheel optical mouse last Christmas, really nice functional bit of hardware...I made the mistake of reading the instructions that said to run the installation software (on a CD of course) before hooking up the mouse....

My gawd, what a load of crapola was installed. I seem to recall something in excess of 25 or 50MB (for a mouse driver.....) including an 'integrated web browser" or some such.

Anyway, I nuked it all, ran Spybot and then simply plugged in the Mouse, and voila - all I needed for full funtionality were drivers that were already loaded and availble in windoze, and have happily had my optical scroll mouse working like a charm since....

hehhee

have fun

dmc/

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I had the same experience as deadmanschest.
    I bought a Logitech mouse and made the mistake of running the installation cd.
    BackWeb is included on the cd.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I purchased a logitec access keyboard last week and on installitation I had the option to install the logitec browser in backweb for updates. I clicked the don't install backweb and so far I have not had it try to connect.

6. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

You can also throw in the Web Cam too. I purchased their keyboard ... yes it was loaded with BAckweb lite and they offered some neat games ...lo & behold they were loaded with Wild Tangent. An installer is included in the software for the purpose of upgrading so Logitech infomed me when I questioned it with Tech support ... so what's there to upgrade??

I have a Logitech Optical Mouse sitting here and wondering do I really want to go through this again? Deadmanschest .. would you please tell me where you obtained the drivers [a link if possible]? I would like to bypass using the CD. Thanks

I can confirm LWM's remarks from experience. I am beginniing to think that this is going to be a way with a lot of the software, etc. I say buy the best performing product and get rid of the crapware ... the product still works well.
    Peaches

7. bigc73542

The default windows mouse drivers will run your optical wheel mouse without adding any software at all. Just plug in your mouse and when you restart it will recognize the mouse.I run a memorex optical and never installed any software. ;)

8. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Thaniks bigc ... whatever would I do without such a great bunch here. :-* :-* - that's one for each cheek. :D

9. bigc73542

It pleases me that I can be of assistance. and thanks from both cheeks. :)

10. deadmanschest

deadmanschest Registered Member

Bloatware - bit off topic but same line..

:) Hi all;

Had one other thought that might be useful to someone..

I also have a MS Sidewinder Pro Joystick (not a gamer, but I picked up at garage sale to play with, as I had an unused game port...) and dl'd the "necessary driver" from MS.....It was 25MB plus and growing..blah blah blah....I nuked it as well..

Did a Google, found an old gamers forum where they suggested using an already installed Windows driver for "CH Flightstick" to drive sidewinder, and Voila - found, recognised and functioning in a few seconds....

In fairness, you could configure and customize the options/ save as well, for Sidewinders with the MS bloatware....but typical of the runaway bloating of the simplest bit of software it seems....

hehehe
    dmc

11. bigc73542

A lot of people really rag on windows but it really is not such a bad os if you keep it patched and secure. What other os comes with defauld drivers that will automatically reinstall on reboot like mouse and keyboard drivers just to name two. Actually xp is a pretty good os. Tomorow I am going to install Xandros linux but you can bet I won't get rid of xp. At least not for now. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.