Does AOL come with TDS?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by bluestone, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluestone

bluestone Registered Member

I carefully read the license agreement and saw no reference to any add-ons or any third party reference. Yet, the AOL icon appeared on my desktop after running Setup for TDS-3 trial version.
    After spending considerable time browsing this forum I'm persuaded there is no sleight of hand going on here by the TDS team. So how did AOL pop up? Did I overlook something before agreeing to the license?

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi bluestone, ;)

Welcome to Wilders' :)

No - TDS doesn't come with any third party software or add ons. I don't have a clue how that happened, but I can assure you it wasn't from the TDS installer.

Steve

Just to double check, you did get the installation file from here, right? -> http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=download

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Bluestone,

Welcome at the TDS forum !

I'm not sure what happened on your system.
    I think it would be best to give as much info about your system as possible, Windows version etc etc.

Did you install TDS-3 while all other running programs were temporarily disabled?

What does that AOL icon tell you when you right-click it and look at its properties?
    Which program is "associated" with it?

Could it be that your icon-cache got corrupted?

PS:
    Oops, sorry, my English is not very good.
    What means "no sleight of hand" ?

Cheers, Jan.

4. dog

dog Guest

Monkey Business / Tricky Business, Not on the up and up ... type of thing.

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Oops, sorry Steve, I didn't see that you already replied while I was posting ;)

6. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Let me guess..you do not even have AIM chat program nor have you ever had AOL at all on your PC..if that is the case..you might read this.

http://itmatters.com.ph/news/news_01312003n.html

BTW..had a guy last year who swore the ICQ put an AOL icon on his desktop.

In any case, check your PC to see if you have a /AOD directory.

Last edited: May 26, 2005
  7. bluestone

bluestone Registered Member

Thanks for the responses.
    I downloaded from the mirror site provided. The other wasn't working well.
    Also, I forgot to mention that the Setup program hung at the very end of the process. I had to kill it with taskmanager. TDS still runs and works quite well, however.

I believe you when you tell me TDS does not contain third party stuff.
    I had this computer made for me personally, and AOL was NOT installed on it nor has it ever been. The only chat program I have or have ever had is ICQ. I have never used Messenger and even disabled it the first day. I've been thru those run-ins on my previous computer.

I may have gotten the AOL bugger from some other software download possibly.
    As to what info a right click would've given me, well, I didn't bother. I deleted the icon without looking into it. Wish now i had done that. :doubt:

Not sure exactly what kind of system info you'd like to know but here's the basics:
    XP Home
    1.2 gig Athlon processor
    60GB
    ZA Security Suite
    CounterSpy
    Spybot
    AdAware
    SpySubtract
    HJT
    SpySweeper
    SpyGuard
    TDS trial version :D
    IE 6.0 (very rarely used)
    Firefox 1.0.4
    Opera 7.1
    Pegasus email client
    Mozilla Thunderbird

Hope this helps. I'd be glad to offer any other info you ask.

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Bluestone,

Difficult to say what happened during that installation.
    Did a full system scan with TDS-3, your AV, and your anti-spyware programs come up clean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.