does anyone know about vmware memory allocation?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by iceni60, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Sure you can. Open the .vmx config file in wordpad, notepad, kate, vi or anything and change it to any number you like. I would not suggest you give too much memory to vmware though. Leave at least 50% for your own processor, unless you want lots of memory swapping, pagefile defragmentation etc.

Furthermore, you can read about setting up vmware player / server at my site ...

Mrk

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Mrkvonic. i've got two 1gig processors, but i haven't configured vmware to use both, do you think i should let it use 1 gig? i opened vmware and did this - Player>troubleshoot>change memory allocation, and put it to 1024MB

i just opened the file and made that 512.

Attached Files:

4. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    It will work either way. But in order not to overload the host, just give it one processor and 512MB, more than enough. Are you running ubuntu in suse, btw?
    Mrk

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, i got it working now.

yeap, i'm running xubuntu in suse.

of cause when i said i have two 1 gig processors i was joking :D i'm not even sure what that's suppose to mean lol

6. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Well, misinformation leads to misadvice.
    Anyhow, I really don't know how many processors or ram you have, but whatever you got, give no more than 1 cpu and 50% ram to xubuntu - it will suffice.
    Mrk

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i've got four 512 sticks of RAM and two Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz and i'm running suse. but, i think i need to make some changes in the BIOS because in the past, when i have started up the VM player, it says something about the VM only using 1 CPU o_O it's abit confusing because even if it was using 2 CPUs the guest OS would still only see one, wouldn't it? ATM i have the memory allocation setup using 512, not 1024, which i had in the screenshot. so, i'll change that back to 1024. thanks for the help :)

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

9. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    You don't need to change anything in bios. You need to change how many cpus the vmware uses - it's another option in the .vmx file. BY the way, learn to use those files, lots of cool little options there.
    Mrk

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK, thanks for the help, i'll look through the file. :cool:

lol, i've got this stupid linux firefox problem again - when i do a smilie it appears before i post, but this time if i edit a post i see all the html as well :eek: it happens no matter which distro i use, it must be my setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.