Do you run a real time Antivirus?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Page42, Jan 17, 2014.

?

Do you run a real time Antivirus?

1. Yes

68.5%
  2. No

31.5%
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Security essentials but sometimes i ask myself why..with today's malware it messes things up real bad and you end up starting over again anyways..:blink:

2. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

At the time of my posting, I currently do not.

Gaming and or simple tasks have proven to open up a lag free experience for me, all due to not running an AV or IS package.

So far, I am convinced that these security packages (AV and IS) do cause some lag spikes in certain areas.

Right now, I am running AppGuard, NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro and Windows Firewall Control - All seem to run better for me, rather than running an AV.

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Very nice set up. I don't do online gaming so I gave Bitdefender Free a chance and it is absolutely the lightest AV I have had.

4. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

I voted yes because I use Avast on my Mac, but I don't use one for my Linux.

5. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Two time "no" :)...no real-time AV both in XP and Vista.

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I don't have any real time protection enabled as doing so causes noticeable slowdowns, at least some of the time. If I could find an antivirus which was light enough for me to never notice any slowdowns then I would use it.

I actually do not have any antivirus installed. I use MBAM Pro for on on demand scans, but for the reason above I also have real time protection disabled.

7. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Then you should change your avatar :p

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, I use real-time AV. And on-demand also.

Regards, hqsec

9. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Yes:
    real time: Avast
    on-demand: Emsisoft Emergency Scanner and Microsoft Safety Scanner.

Though IMHO actual safety is not in AV but in FW+HIPS: Online Armor.

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Done ;)

11. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Nice poll! And no, I don't run realtime AV. I've learned that I can be well protected for the most part by tweaking my router's internals and windows itself. I just like simplicity and one day found out that for a long time I was complicating myself trying to reach that 'perfect setup', then I decided it was time to enjoy my computers and been using AX64 and Macrium Free mostly for keeping things safe. Then I found XDA Forums and I've been spending some time there too, also trying browsers and extensions (in general, not only security related ones). I couldn't be happier (technology-wise) :D.

12. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I changed to a linux operating system and im currently not using any AV at all.

13. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Thanks, I like it too

I have used Bitdefender Free in the past, it is definitely a light and effective AV.

I may try it again, just to test it for lag with applications and games.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

To my thinking, and I probably didn't make myself as clear as I could have when I posted the poll, I am more interested in why Yes or No on the question of real time protection, rather than why this AV vs that AV.
    Of course, all comments are welcome (I sincerely mean that), but what catches my eye are comments from members as to why they do or don't run a real time AV. We've had a few of those responses, and I find them to be informative and helpful.

I think there is already a poll for favorite AV, so I wasn't attempting to recreate that.

For example, someone said they had enough resources, so why not run an AV in real time? I like it.
    I run VIPRE, and don't feel super concerned about its detection capability (it's somewhere between good and very good but not excellent) because Sandboxie does the heavy lifting, so to speak.

Thanks to all the people who posted what their reasons are for voting Yes or No. I appreciate it. :thumb:
    And the numbers so far are not surprising.

15. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Yes, Bitdefender Free Edition, light & effective, no ads, craps, etc...

16. guest

guest Guest

Why I don't use any kinds of AV:
    1. I can't

2. I don't want to

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You left out
    3. Because ;)

18. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

And no stupid yearly registrations like Avast...

19. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

No.
    Why?
    1. Past experiences,AV's have wrecked havoc on my systems in the past.
    2. To heavy on the system, using to much resources, slowing computer down.
    3. Inadequate protection, can only protect against signatures in database.
    4. Expensive, most free AV's are stripped down and full versions require yearly payments for added protection.
    5. Incompatibility, many do not get along well with other security software and require you to uninstall said software.
    6. The need for frequent updating to remain as protected as it can be.
    7. Bloatware, many try to throw in everything including the kitchen sink.
    8. False positives, refer to #1 for a possible outcome.
    9. No need for one as my current setup is more then adequate.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  20. guest

guest Guest

3. Because Princess Inada is scolding me I prefer default-deny, whitelisting, restriction-based approach.

It's not that I'm an anti-AV anyway. I still recommend them to some people as an easy security solution. They still have their place.

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

That's it, only nine reasons? :D
    Now what about the Yes reasons for your Android/Smartphone and wife's laptop?

22. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Yes, but as they call BD free an essential av so no configs, maintenance, etc... I think they should also remove the login thing.

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I think your reasons are quite valid. I thought so when I read...

24. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

If you don't use any AV, I hope it's not because you believe you won't be exposed to malware.

Microsoft's own statement: "On average, about 17.0 percent of computers worldwide encountered malware each quarter in 1H12, as reported by Microsoft security products." This is the malware exposure rate, not the infection rate.

From the small field study covered in https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=358750, it may be the case that more experienced users tend to experience larger malware exposure rates than average, due to factors such as visiting more websites.

25. guest

guest Guest

No. It's actually the reverse. My chance to get infected is bigger than most people. Thus, default-deny works better for me. :isay:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.