Do you experience Sound crackling/popping/snaps under Vista?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dark_Hanzo, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

Hi dear Wilders :)

Since I purchased my laptop (it's Acer Aspire AS7720-6182 Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0GHz) three months ago and I am having this annoying crackling/popping with vista audio (I am using WMP11). The sound crackling occurs every time I launch application or program (like firefox) or a new service starts running in background. I've tried every single solution I found in internet:
    -Updating drivers (sound card, VGA, mobo, ...etc).
    -Disabling unnecessary services.
    -Cooling pad (for overheating issues).
    -Switching power scheme to "high performance".
    -Flashing bios (it did improve the sound a bit, but it didn't solve the crackling issue completely!).

So I am wondering if someone else experienced this problem with vista.

I am looking forward to read your comments :D

Cheers.

2. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Im having no such problems, what soundcard and speakers you using? EDIT: You using a laptop, contact the vendor - seems to be an issue that needs to be solved not by yourself.

I did have such problem on xp with some speakers.

3. Dark_Hanzo

Hi GES/POR.

Thanks for your reply :). I am using the onboard realtek chip ALC 268 with latest driver 2.14 which released yesterday. The crackling sound comes from the headphones, but I am not sure if it occurs also in the speakers (I haven't tested that :) ). I contacted acer support via email two days ago and they provided me with very obvious solution: reformat and install everything from scratch. I've done that already and it didn't help. I think the problem is somehow software related because the sound was way worse when I first got this laptop, but flashing the latest bios helped a lot, but still there is some minor crackling here and there.

Cheers :)

4. GES/POR

Contact them again, stay on it and let them know exactely wich steps you took to solve these issue. btw am glad the flashing made a difference.

Also check the speakers and let me know if you want, you sure its not your headphones? :oops:

5. Dark_Hanzo

Hi GES/POR.

I've tested the built-in speakers and they produced the same problem :rolleyes:. I also tried different headphones, crackling persists. I am using a little utility called DPC Latency Checker http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml which shows latency spikes (above 8000 micro sec) every time the audio starts crackling. Some other acer users with similar problem had sent their laptops to acer, but all what acer did was re-imaging the HD which, of course, did solve the problem. It seems there is some serious drivers conflict or poorly written drivers in vista (dell users had the same problem which was fixed by disabling/uninstalling WLAN card o_O ). Therefore, I wouldn't put too much hope on sending my laptop back to acer for repair, although I'll follow your advice and contact them again :)

6. Dark_Hanzo

I had to send my laptop back to acer repair depot since I couldn't power it up anymore. It appears the VGA was defected (Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS) See: http://apcmag.com/nvidia_disaster_thousands_of_gpus_faulty.htm.
    Anyway, after they replaced modo and vga, I am no longer experiencing audio problems (for now :D)

7. GES/POR

Good good :D :thumb:

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Years ago I found that sometimes nvidia drivers don't always play well with sound drivers. The solution then was to play with a few different versions of both drivers in combinations, until one match was found that rid the problems. That was using creative cards and geforce/g3/g4 cards.

Sul.

9. Dark_Hanzo

I have built-in realtek sound card which also had incompatibility issue with nvidia drivers for some users. I am using nvidia beta driver ver.179.48, and, so far, I haven't encountered any problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.