Do you believe this story?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Close_Hauled, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I read the following story on another forum. I called the guy out and said that it was not true. Take a look at it and tell me what you think. What part(s) of it do you think clued me into it being a complete falsehood?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

This story is a complete fabrication as far as the food being reused and there is no way it took three fights to finally get into solitary which is not an option in most jails I have heard of. Prisons use solitary as punishment less than they do to protect the person in solitary from someone in the general jail population. I really think the writer of that story watches to many cop shows.

3. big ed

big ed Registered Member

The most outrageous statement was that Burger King is better than McSnorkels. Thats like saying that Hitler was nicer than Sadaam. Both are gastronomical disasters!

big ed

4. dog

dog Guest

Couple of quick ones after skimming thru it.

Hmmm ... Shower and Toilet in a single cell ... most cells sleep two ... with overcrowding Three ... one matress on the floor - Cells come with one toilet, one small sink ... NO shower.

Breakfast in bed (so to speak) ... how'd he get the food to the toilet?

But maybe juenille is different ... than regular lock up ... and maybe that's where he was at ... I wouldn't know.

Funny that someone like this would get a full scholarship ... must be good at sports ... o_O

dog - *puppy*

5. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I only posted this because everyone on the other forum was arguing with me. I wanted to see if you guys saw the same thing that I did. To me, it is so blatently obvious.

These are the things that clued me in to this being a fake story:

1) Anyone who writes that well knows what "Equestrian" means. Look at the sentence structure and the spelling. There are only nine spelling errors in the entire text:

“Facinating” (Fascinating)
    “styrofome” (Styrofoam)
    “matresses” (mattresses)
    “Eigth” (Eighth)
    “appearences” (appearances)
    “Equestrain” (Equestrian)
    “existance” (existence)
    “steal” (misused: steel)
    “alot” (a lot)

The spelling errors I can understand. Anyone can make them when typing on the fly. But the sentence and paragraph structure is too sound for someone of that caliber not to know what “Equestrian” means.

2) His mother is a teacher. How does the son of a teacher not know what "Equestrian" means.

3) His grammar suggests that he is from the south, and he does not know what grits are. There is no way that you can confuse grits for oats. And if they are serving grits, he's in the south.

4) I googled his forum ID and found him on an audio forum where he talks about the same car speakers in the story. That forum listed him as living in Georgia. Again, he should know what grits are.

5) He says that he does not remember what how much bail was. You know as well as I do that his parents ripped him a new one over that bail money. The reason why he does not remember is that there WAS NO BAIL!

6) Look at the book he reads, "Prophet", by Frank E. Peretti, and the blurb:

"Anchorman John Barrett knows something is wrong. The story doesn't add up."
    http://www.discerningreader.com/prfrepe.html

He is clearly dropping a hint that this story is BS.

Anyway, sorry to waste your time. I was just curious as to whether or not my arguments were sound.

Close Hauled

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The story had many holes. Good fiction ;)

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Totally aside from the "author's" inconsistencies about his literary and cultural background, dog made some good points about the realities of jail. Among several other weird career-twists in my lifetime, I spent several months as an officer with the Fed Bureau of Prisons, stationed at DC Jail in Washington. That was close to 40 years ago now, and of course things may have changed drastically since then -- in those days they valued officers more for using sound judgement than for willingness (if not eagerness) to kick butt, and I actually acquired a couple of good commendations on my record as a result.

I think we all agree the story's a fabrication -- whether I'd agree with bigc that it's a good one is a whole 'nother question. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.