Do the differences affect long term reliability?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Hugger, Jun 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I got some good advice
    about a week ago about using an external hard drive
    as part of my back up system.
    My question is a simple one.
    Which holds up better. A 2.5 7200 rpm or a 3.5 7200 rpm hard drive?
    Whichever I get will be used with a Windows 7 x64 laptop.
    Thanks for any help.
    Hugger

2. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Well, I've had more big disks fail on me than I've had small disks fail, if that means anything.

A 2.5 drive may be more resistant to shock and jostling about, it is, after all, engineered for the mobile market. There's less mass to bounce around and components are lighter. 2.5 drive electronics seem to be more reliable compared to 3.5 form factor electronics. Smaller electronics tend to have less thermal expansion. And the HDD metal housing of a big disk expands and contracts more with temperature change, thereby pulling on itself and electronics and controller board.

A 2.5 drive will tend to fail more catastrophically compared to a bigger disk, and data recovery could also be more difficult. But since we're "in the business" of backing up we won't need the services of Drivesavers or OnTrack, now will we?

As for persistence of "magnetic bits" on the surfaces, there's lots of factors. Bigger disks tend to have larger domains and are more "stronger" and permanent. And know that the bits aren't really bits, but bouncy analog waves that look like this:
    ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°
    !¸.•*´¯)¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,¸,ø•*´¯)!¸.•*´¯)¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,¸,ø•*´¯)
    .¸.•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)¸..¸.•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)¸..¸.•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)¸.
    (¯`'•.¸(¯`'•.¸(¯`'•.¸_¸.•'´¯)¸.•'´¯)¸.•'´¯)
    °°°¤(¯`'•.¸*¨¨*:•.•:*¨¨**¨¨*:•.•:*¨¨*:• ¸.•'´¯)¤°°°

Not like this:

Ain't that just -:¦:- FABULOUS -:¦:-

To use an overused corporate buzzphrase "at the end of the day" I'd go with a smaller disk and if you're concerned about longevity and persistence, just rewrite the data. ALL HAIL 2.5 DRIVES! WHEEE!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.