Do I really need a firewall with this setup?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Engelhardt, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Engelhardt

Engelhardt Registered Member

I'm running XP Pro with Antivir PP, the old Boclean and Prevx. This is also behind a Netgear WNPT834 router. Do I need to run a firewall or maybe just the Windows firewall??:doubt: Was thinking of just going without to speed things up a bit.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Pretty much same set-up works for me. Hard to config "light" FW, and the easy ones use to much ram. What started out as convenience has kept me malware-free!!!

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

If you are able to make a system image - I would keep the Netgear and Antivir and throw the rest out - live dangerously.

If anything bad ever got thru I would simply restore a known clean image. I would trade speed for unnecessary safety every day.

4. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

I'd say no but some guys gonna say yes cuz you need a real deal firewall cuz you want a program running on your machine and you want to deny its outbound traffic.

5. what_no_clue

what_no_clue Registered Member

If you have prevx1 in pro or expert mode, you can get away without a firewall. In expert mode you can also block "known" programs outbound activity, but you can not distinguish between LAN contact & internet contact, it is either blocked or it isn't.

6. Engelhardt

Thanks guys ... so far so good. System sure runs smoother. Running Prevx in pro mode. I really like how easy Prevx is to use. When the Vista version comes out I'm going to have to trial it on one of my Vista machines.

7. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

I say not also, I never use firewall or any ASpyware program, only use My Netgear NAT is good enough for me, of course I use a good AV now trying Avira PP and love it so far, Oh and no forget a good backup program

8. Engelhardt

No problem there. I use ATI v10 and am also beta testing Windows Home Server which has automatic nightly backups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.