Do I need to format new HDD before restore?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bbarry, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbarry

bbarry Registered Member

My old IDE hard drive crashed, so I just purchased a new one. I am now ready to restore everything to this new drive, using the Acronis image I have on an external drive.

Do I need to format the new drive first, or will ATI 10 do that for me during the restore process? If so, will it also let me partition the drive?

Thank you.

2. FrankATI

FrankATI Registered Member

I just restored a backup to a hard disk that was right out of the box. I made a point of not formatting it to answer the very same question you're asking. You don't need to format the drive. And when you think about it, the backup actually controls the format. If you backed up an NTFS file system, it will be restored as NTFS.

During the restore there was no way to add partitions, although I could change the size of any existing partitions. For example, to utilize all the space available on a larger disk.

Regards,
    Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.