Do I Need More Protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chinook9, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I have built a new machine and I am setting it up. I have installed Panda Cloud and DefenseWall Firewall 3.0. My router also has a firewall. Whenever I browse the web I use Sandboxie. This setup is fast and light and I would like to keep it that way.

I don't use torrents, but I often download GPS software from questionable sources and I download a variety of sports and language videos. I will use the videos and software on other machines and may share them with friends.

I believe my security needs are covered, but I don't know enough about malware to be sure.

I feel like I need something (in addition to Panda) to scan the my downloads and I may need more realtime protection in addition to Panda and DFW.

Your assessment would be appreciated?

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Maybe something like Malwarebytes would be a good addition, Defensewall + Panda Cloud provides very good protection.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

You got a nice protection there.
    Maybe you could add a few on demand scanner just as support, like A2 or Hitman Pro :D

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Panda Cloud and Sandboxie are a very good combo.

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

As noted a couple of "on demand" scanners, such as MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware, would be good additions. After installing them you can right click on downloaded files to scan them with these products.

6. chinook9

I often use MalwareBytes AntiMalware (Free) and SuperAntispyware (Licensed). Do I need to run one of these realtime, or just scan the downloads?

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

What's your operating system?

8. chinook9

Sorry I didn't mention it. Windows XP.

9. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

You may want to run the SAS protection upfront to guard against drive-by downloads from infected websites.

10. chinook9

Is SAS the best option available for this? I know SAS and MBAM are among the very best scanners but I thought there might be better options for realtime protection to supplement PCloud and DFW....Of course, as indicated in previous posts, maybe more is not necessarily better.

11. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Maybe not the very best option, but as long as you already have a lifetime license I would try it. I am currently using MBAM as upfront protection with KAV and DefenseWall. They work together very nicely.

12. chinook9

Thank you all for the input.

I will go ahead and install MBAM for on demand scans of downloads and then eventually buy a license (only $19.95 with coupon) for MBAM Pro for realtime protection. As mentioned previously, I already have the license for SAS Pro but what I have read comparing these two clearly indicates that MBAM is better.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.