Do I need more protection with Firefox?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Wordward, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I am using AVG AV, Online Armor Free version, and ThreatFire with Firefox as my browser, with no Antispyware program. After seeing some posts that Antispyware isn't needed with Firefox, I wonder if this is correct or if I should still add one?

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Get FF extensions
    Free:
    NoScript
    http://noscript.net/
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722
    AdBlockPlus with filterset updater
    http://adblockplus.org/en/
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
    CustomizeGoogle
    http://www.customizegoogle.com/
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/743

Surf with Sandboxie
    http://www.sandboxie.com/
    Free limited version only ~$20 for the full

With careful e-mail and messaging = nearly impregnable and nearly free with what you have
    Maybe even drop Threatfire if system dragging.

FYI: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=1866449

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  3. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi Wordward,

Some questions : what extensions do you use with FF and do you "run safer" (OA free features) Firefox ?

regards,

MaB

4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hello Mab69. I use Adblock Plus, but stopped using No Script as it drove me a little crazy at times. I do however have Firefox set to Run Safer in OA. I also have a copy of an a-squared Anti-Malware License, which is what brought on my question, as it not only offers Behavior Analysis similar to ThreatFire, but also a blacklist and heuristic detection of spyware and riskware.

5. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi Wordward,

Add your brain in front line and your setup will be more secure than secure.o_O
    If i can give only one advice : reinstall NoScript and be patient with it ;)

Regards,

MaB

6. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I understand what your saying and realize it is very unlikely I will be infected. It's just good knowing that if the chance of it happening does arise, I have the right security in place to prevent total Havoc! Hey that would be a cool name for a security program wouldn't it? LOL. how about Spyware Havoc Terminator.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

He can be safer while using a sandbox even without NoScript( short of XSS).
    Not everyone will like to use and manage NoScript.

8. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I only activate NOSCRIPT once in awhile; it drove me nuts, too.

The AdBlockPlus add-on, with a filter subscription, is a good one.

I also like FLASHBLOCK, just because flash is so darn slow and I like to choose to see it or not.

9. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I may uninstall TF and run a squared for awhile to see if PC runs faster. I swear it seems like ThreatFire interferes with my wireless signal strength.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would try to stick with TF if possible, it's the one thing that's most likely to catch something bad happening when everything else fails...

11. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I keep noscript engaged all the time as well as adblock. My only other security is Blink Personal and Returnil.

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

That's why I like ThreatFire Kerodo. I also read it's harder for malware to take down TF than it is a-squared.

13. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

NScript runs forever in my FFox, with SafeCache too. And NScript ain't hard to manage either. I also use sandBoxie, on-demand thou.

I noticed TFire was quite popular on this forum... i think i will do a test-run on it.

14. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

So is the consensus that there truly isn't any need to run any kind of Antispyware Program in Real Time if you're using Firefox as your browser?

15. AKAJohnDoe

Not a consensus, as I am dissenting.

16. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I think I understand the meaning of dissenting. non conformist, to differ in opinion. But what are you dissenting about? Using or not using an Antispyware with Firefox? Or just this thread? LOL.

17. AKAJohnDoe

I dissent in general, just on principle; however, in this specific instance my dissension is based upon my stance to advocate for running AntiSpyWare regardless of the browser(s) installed or in use.

18. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Gotcha. Then what Antispyware do you deem best to run in real Time with Firefox? Would AVG AntiSpyware be a good choice? I was thinking of running a-squared in RealTime because of it's Heuristics and IDS detection which AVG doesn't have, but I wonder if AVG may offer better signature detection and cleaning? I am currently using OA Free and ThreatFire so I really don't need a-squared, but AVG AS as an extra layer of protection may be a good choice if it's truly needed with Firefox.

19. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I'm not sure if OA free offers the ability to protect programs from termination. I know the paid version does. No-script is a good way to protect you, but a sandbox program like Sandboxie should do the job in protecting you from unknown nasties. I use both :D . Sandboxie is the first program I have installed that made me feel warm and fuzzy about daily surfing. If a nasty isn't caught by your AV or other protections, it should be contained in the sandbox and emptied/deleted later.

Do yourself a favor and have a look at a sandbox type program. Sandboxie and GESwall offer free versions and DefenseWall is a paid sandbox/HIPS type app. If that isn't enough, you could add a free for personal use system virtualization app like Returnil. Use both and your 'virtually' bullet proof ;) . They are easier to use than you might think.

http://www.sandboxie.com/
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?HelpTopics
    Have a look at 'Tutorial: Getting Started' and all the FAQS at the second link.

With your current protections and running firefox with 'run safer', I would think you are fine. If you are not comfortable, give Sandboxie and Returnil a shot. Try Sandboxie for a while and if you feel you need more, add Returnil.

Edit: also make sure to update Firefox to version 2.0.0.8 as it was updated very recently.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  20. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Yes, it does.

21. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

22. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

where is the overlap between Sandboxie, Returnil, and VMWare? could you run
    any two of the three or Returnil + VMWare are redundant?

(Gizmo on the 46 best free utils say he runs Sandboxie and VMWare
    along with only a real-time AV.....said he runs AS only on demand because they never catch anything if your running a good AV in real-time, so the system
    drain not worth running AS in realtime...)

since ive been using firefox ive been kind of disappointed that my AV, AS, etc
    hardly ever find anything..it gets a little dull

23. innerpeace

Running Sandboxie while protected with Returnil allows you to empty the contents of the sandboxed application without having to reboot to return your system back to the way it was. Say I was running both while surfing, I could stop my browser session and empty the contents as much as I wanted. Then when I was finished for the day, I could reboot or shutdown and the system partition is clean. To me, it's an extra layer of protection and a convenience. It all depends on what you want to do.

There are also some who run Sandboxie, Returnil and a virtual machine for extra safety when dealing with dangerous or unknown things. In this case, overlap and redundancy is welcomed.

Sandboxie virtualizes and isolates individual applications like your browser.

Returnil virtualizes your system partition only.

I haven't used VMs, but I think they virtualize everything, hardware included. It's like having another OS.

24. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

thanks Innerpeace...it may be a little beyond me i guess...

25. innerpeace

Hi jfd15,

Honestly, it's not that complicated. If I can do it, I'm sure anyone can. If your interested, try one at a time. The hardest part for me was understanding what Sandboxie and Returnil actually did. The whole concept was very new to me. Sandboxies site is very helpful. You can also check out the 'Getting Started' tutorial and Faqs here.

Returnil can be found here. It protects your system partiton only (usually C:\). You can use the protection all the time or manually with 'Session Lock'. The virtual partition which is an option upon install is just a temporary place to store things when system protection is on. The size you choose to make the VP is dependent on what you may download or save while protection is on. If you already have an alternative partition, you can save your data their as only C: is protected.

If you have any questions, you have the Sandboxie forum and the folks here at Wilders to assist you. Coldmoon/Mike also provides great Returnil support here too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.