Do I need Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Escalader, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

The above are on my PC.

What do they do in layman's terms and can I safely remove them?

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello Escalader. :)

.NET Framework is a platform for ASP.NET developed applications, very much like java. The point of .NET is to provide common environment for many different applications, something like a core. You can think of it as the "Common Files" subfolder under your "Program Files". When you install an application developed in ASP.NET it "refers" to .NET framework as it's base or "framework". If I remember correctly, there is a SP for .NET 1.1 besides that hotfix.
    I have a little bandwidth monitor on my desktop, a graph called BitMeter which requires .NET 1.1 to be installed. Sure, you can uninstall .NET, it is not necessary for normal system functioning, but you may find that some application you install might need it in the future. It is not harmless, and it sucks up no resources (when not used). So, it's up to you...

Cheers.

3. Escalader

Rick:

Thanks, I'll look into it more. Sounds like I'm not ever likely to need it.

4. Escalader

Well, I checked it out, decided to uninstall it. PC rebooted fine, did a defrag everything smooth, thanks again

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Certain programs use .NET to edit the program's rules, such as Antihook. It is usually included with the Operating System and I guess is used by software developers too. I have it on my hard drive, but never run it and don't know if any programs use it.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I have some programs that REQUIRE .NET 1.1 and some that REQUIRE .net 2.0 to run at all. Otherwise they won't be able to perform since they need it's library supporting files to make it hum.

If you don't have or don't intend to use any applications with those dependencies, sure, it's no big deal of course, but i always keep a .NET 1.1 installer stored in case of an install or reinstall because some of my customizing apps need it.

8. Escalader

Thanks for the link Ron, it is 2005. I guess that is the latest MS has on the NET.

The applications they mention I don't have so....?

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

10. Escalader

Thanks, I don't have it at all now obsolete or not. No ill effects yet and I've run everything on the PC.

Just curious ccsito, why you show FF 1.5 yet it is up to 2.0.0.4 ?

Take care

11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

.net 3 is litterally the vista add-ons for .net 2.

.net 2 is not backwards compatible with .net 1.1, therefore will need both versions installed if you have different apps that use both versions.

1.1 is not obselete - it is still fully supported by MS - visual studio 2003 (including .net 1.1) , which is the main tool for developing .net 1.1 has full support until end of 2008 (not sure of exact date).

12. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I guess I am slow to upgrade sometimes. :D

13. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I reread the MS webpage more closely and 1.1 is still supported. Thanks for the correction. I guess I incorrectly lumped that software with other MS products such as Windows, Internet Explorer, Office, etc. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.