Do I Need a Firewall With ADSL?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by AaLF, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Hi people,

Several people have told me that firewalls are dinosaurs when you have ADSL as the modem is a mini router that a hacker can't get through to break into the PC.

So the question is simple true or false?

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I still recommend a software firewall to keep outbound apps from accessing the net.

Hope this helps,

Chris

3. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

I believe the answer is false. An ADSL modem does not act in the same way as a router.

It's easy to check. Do the port probe at Shields Up: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 with the Windows firewall off and then check it again with it on. You will get the same result if the modem is acting like a router. You will get different results if it's not.

HTH

4. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. Both tests came up "PASSED"

So this means a firewall is not required to stop hackers...right?

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well it means that ur modem acts like a firewall, but a software firewall is still nice for controlling outbound connections.

6. SpikeyB

I know that all the ports show up as stealthed with the Windows firewall on. If that's what you got with it switched off then you don't need a firewall to stop incoming connections.

You may want to consider the suggestion from Chris12923 and WSFuser. That part's a personal choice you have to make.

7. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Outbound connections?

I know some applications have to or choose to 'phone home' but what about spys / hackers?

Can they (spies / hackers) set up something in my PC to "phone home" to them?
    How do they do it?

(This question may sound silly or simple...but truly me and probably thousands of others have never given two seconds thought to this "dark-side" stuff.)

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well if u somehow let malware get onto ur computer, it can then connect out if there no program (like a firewall with application control) to stop it.

of course, not all malware phones home, but some do.

9. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Nowadays the majority of it, I'd say.

10. SpikeyB

11. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

12. orthocross2006

orthocross2006 Registered Member

West of the Mississippi, toward the Coast
    Some ADSL modems are actually routers, with ADSL circuitry. And some of these types of ADSL modem's firewalls are configurable by the user. But not all. I would definitely "RTFM".

I would NEVER access the Internet via a broad-band connection UNLESS there was also a firewall of some sort activated and in use on my connection BEFORE a signal even reached the Ethernet port on my computer. The best and easiest way to do this is via a NAT router which has a configurable firewall. Another way is by using a software firewall on my machine which will firewall the modem directly, such as ZoneLabs products.

Considering that most hackers specifically look for broadband connections almost exclusively, firewalling your ADSL connection is a MUST in this day and age.

So yes, you DO need to use a firewall (of some sort) with your ADSL modem. Especially if the ADSL modem does not contain a hardware firewall which is directly configurable by the user.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.