DMA revets to PIO

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I have two optical drives D:\ = NEC & E:\ = Pioneer from device mgr., Secondary IDE - (device 0) has gone from "Ultra DMA Mode 2" to "PIO"
    Secondary IDE - (device 1) has not changed & remains "Ultra DMA Mode 2"

I have a sneaking suspicion that (device 0) = NEC. The Pioneer is a 2X burner rarely used.

I found the following: http://winhlp.com/WxDMA.htm I found the reg key & found the 0002 that "Re-enable DMA using Registry Editor" portion of the article describes.

Does this sound like a reasonable solution?? Any other thoughts on how to get back to DMA? Also the NEC 16X DVD burner has slowed drastically, that's why I think (device 0) = NEC = D:

I would make a system restore point & ERUNT before trying. Also I'm pretty sure this is a master slave relation between NEC & Pioneer, but I don't which is which. Also I have to choose which one can "write" both drives cannot, be capable of writing to cd. I must go to: my computer > properties > tick "enable CD recording on this drive." both drives cannot have a tick there. That's why I think its a master/slave.

Thanks for any hand holding and advise, you can give

As Always Take Care
    rico

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Resetting it to DMA may fix it, but I would keep an eye on it. If the driver is corrupt then it could come back, and it's possible that the driver got corrupted by a hardware issue. So keep an eye on it, if it happens again then uninstall the IDE drivers (both) and reboot (which it will then reinstall. Don't just uninstall and reinstall because you want it to actually install fresh drivers.. you could even try downloading new ones from your motherboard mfgr's site). If you reinstall and it still happens then you might try uninstalling, rebooting and flashing your bios before booting into Windows again. If it happens yet again, I would consider getting a new drive (even if it's relatively new.. I've had drives die in a matter of months).

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Re: DMA reverts to PIO

Hi Notok,

I crossed my fingers & took a deep breath & deleted the masteriddatachecksum &slaveiddatachecksum rebooted, now Its back to DMA 2. All's well.

Not sure I understand all of your post, but seeing how you did not caution against it i did it.

if it happens again then uninstall the IDE drivers (both) and reboot - does this mean from device mgr delete "primary" & "secondary" ide?

install fresh drivers - I thought it was M$ driver, plug & play, if deleting primary & secondary won't/will it ask for the windows disk?

try downloading new ones from your motherboard mfgr's site - not sure here, this machine is a Sony Vaio, & the m-board drivers are proprietary - I hate this about Sony.

rebooting and flashing your bios before booting into Windows - The last update from Sony regarding (again proprietary) BIOS was more than a year ago. And to update the BIOS was to run, there software from Windows. Were you talking about the BIOS BIOS or the optical drive BIOS?

I would consider getting a new drive - You mean optical right? Geez this NEC slowed to a crawl & I was almost set to buy a Plextor 760A.

This NEC drive one time I tried to update its firmware & the update failed in the middle & had to quit. When that happened, the NEC drive was useless. So on a lark, I closed everything & re-tried the firmware update. Perhaps hopefully that's when she went back to PIO.

I'm in the middle of transferring 33 1/3 albums to CD's, I can't wait to try my next burn. Thanks for the virtual hand holding & navigation through these troubled ones & zeros

Take Care & Thank You Again
    rico

PS With Sony being so proprietary, do you think I could trust Belarc or Lavalys information regarding BIOS & m-board for drivers? This is a Sony Vaio PCV-RS320 computer.

PSS I'm not sure why the quote did not work, I highlighted & hit quote no luck. I'm lucky enough for one night, with my DMA back

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi

Does this seem reasonable for my NEC 3500A burner, 16X DVD. For the test TDK 52X cd-r disks were used & iTunes. Upon closing the tray timing began & timing ended when iTunes, made a noise/sound indicating burn was finished. The music is was mp3's dragged into iTunes, to represent the original albums.

While secondary IDE (device 0) in "PIO" 55.0 mb burned in 225 seconds or 0.244 mb/sec

With (device 0) in "Ultra DMA Mode 2" 48.3 mb burned in 140 seconds or 0.345 mb/sec

Question this slow, middling, or fast in the DMA mode?

Thanks & Take Care
    rico

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Perhaps this may be better

IDE "PIO"

see Next Post for "Ultra DMA Mode 2"

Attached Files:

• nec.jpg
      nec.jpg
      File size:
      117.8 KB
      Views:
  6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

DMA Mode:

Does this seem ok for this drive?

Attached Files:

• DMA.jpg
      DMA.jpg
      File size:
      116 KB
      Views:
  7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Good deal :) You probably could have also just changed it in the device manager, but this may be better.

Correct, just uninstall them from device manager and reboot. It will detect the missing drivers and reinstall them after you reboot.

Not all of them have specific IDE drivers, and Windows almost always installs generic drivers. If you find specific drivers (just check the Sony website for your specific model and see what drivers they have for download) then when it goes to install them it should bring up a wizard, you can select the option to not install automatically, not search any location, then "have disk".

If you don't find specific IDE drivers, look for motherboard chipset drivers. You should be able to find out what chipset you have fairly easily, even if with something like Belarc, etc. (I use SIW). It would most likely be Intel 865 (or similar number), Via, SiS, or nForce. Sony would likely have the drivers, but you could also find them at the chipset mfgr's site pretty easily. If it says you have an Intel chipset, you could find out exactly what it is with their chipset identification tool. The chipset drivers may not have actual IDE drivers, but may have "IDE Busmaster" drivers, or similar.

If you just can't find out, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. I posted this more as an extra measure than anything that's mandantory. If you have much trouble, though, and realliy want to install these, post what info you do have and I'll help.

The motherboard BIOS, yes. You can check the BIOS version that you have by looking at the post info when you reboot. It will usually tell you the motherboard version you have, the BIOS version, and then do the memory count, in that order. You likely have a splash screen that shows the Sony logo instead of showing the info.. you can reveal this info by pressing Tab or Esc, depending.. it usually says what to press to see this info, mine shows at the bottom.

That sounds very likely. If all went well, then hopefully it won't bother you again. Just check the device manger periodically to ensure it's still in DMA mode.

Hehe, sounds like you've got a lot of burning ahead of you.

No prob, it's what we're here for :)

Regarding the speeds, it doesn't sound too off... 20x ripping speed is pretty common. There's a lot of factors that can affect speed when burning/ripping audio. I seem to remember hearing that it's quite common for people to start out with full ripping speeds and then have it drop down to about 20x or so relatively quickly, but I can't for the life of me remember what the deal was. It was on the dbPowerAmp forum, you can find lots of good tips there, too: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/index.php? - for the amount of ripping/burning that you're doing, you might also like that software (dbPowerAmp) better.. I use it and love it, it makes things a lot easier. Security software could potentially slow things down as well.

You too!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.