Diwali Greetings

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by yogishree, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yogishree

yogishree Registered Member

Heartiest Diwali Greetings to All .

[MOVE]Spread the flame of happiness, and let its warmth linger all around you.[/MOVE]

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Happy Diwali to all celebrants!

3. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

This world's people sorely need some happiness and warmth.......a great start to the month of Thanks and Giving, Yogishree!

Happy Diwali to you and everyone......

Marja:cool:

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

@Yogishree, Abhi_Mittal, Arup and everyone else, HAPPY DIWALI to all of you! :D

5. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) Happy Diwali back at you. For those who may not know, why don't you tell a little about Diwali?

Thanks
    Wildman

6. BeetleBoss

BeetleBoss She who posts lots of <I>Smileys</I>

7. yogishree

yogishree Registered Member

The word "Diwali" has its roots in the Sanskrit word "Deepavali" - Deepa literally translated means earthern lamps and symbolise 'light' , 'knowledge' and 'happiness' and Avali means a row or an array. Thus Diwali means a row of lights and indeed illumination forms its main attraction. Multi-coloured Rangoli designs, floral decorations and fireworks lend picturesqueness and grandeur to this festival which heralds joy, mirth and happiness in the ensuring year.

Diwali is believed to have its origin in the 'Rituparva' , the harvest festival of ancient Indian society which was primarily agrarian . However with the passage of time many legends have become associated with the celebration of Diwali and one of the prominent ones is as below :

a) Sri Ram is an avatar of Vishnu - one in the triology of gods. Ram's father was forced by circumstances to banish his son to the forests for 14 years .Sri Ram , during his period of banishment , was accompanied by his wife Sita and younger brother Lakshaman . During this period Sita was deceitfully kidnapped by Ravan - the demon king of Sri Lanka - and a battle had to be waged by Ram to get back his wife as Ravan did not realise that his wickedness would be no match against Sri Ram's divine powers and refused to surrender Sita . The battle led to the killing of Ravan alongwith almost all his family members .

b) Shri Ram, Sita and Lakshman then returned to Ayodhya - their capital city - as the period of exile had also ended. When Shri Ram arrived all the citizens were overjoyed and he was crowned as the rightful king of Ayodhya.

c) Sri Ram ruled justly for many years and His righteousness led to the word Ramrajya – which till date is believed to be an ideal kingdom in which only truth, brotherhood, harmony and love prevail.

d) The day on which Ram was crowned king is celebrated as Diwali which is also understood as victory of good over evil. Hindus worldwide celebrate Diwali with immense festivity.

In India, Diwali is a national holiday. Most businesses and offices remain closed .

This festival is celebrated on a grand scale in almost all the regions of India and is looked upon mainly as the victory of 'good' over 'evil' and the beginning of New Year. As such the blessings of Lakshmi, the celestial consort of Lord Vishnu are invoked with prayers. Even countries like Guyana, Thailand, Trinidad, Siam and Malaya celebrate this festival but in their own ways.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Here's a bit about Diwali....I'd like to personally describe it, but its been a few years since I last celebrated it, due to air and sound pollution in my area...

http://www.answers.com/Diwali

9. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Happy Diwali!!

10. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Happy Diwali everybody.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.