Ditching Java might be a good move

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Is this a default setting? Which version? Stable?
    Or is it a matter of having "click to play" ticked? In which case, it isn't a default property.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The approach I use for IE 9.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

A better method in IE might be to remove the plugins ability to run on all sites, then you should get a prompt every time it wants to load.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yes, this is default in all Chrome versions for a while now. Chrome also warns you if your Java plugin is out of date before Java runs.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

That might work, although I have Group Policy settings for plug-ins that might make that approach difficult for me, but I'll give it a try. thanks for the suggestion!

6. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I removed it few months ago and now I realize I don't need it either. It looks like I've been installing it just out of the habit.

7. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have a 401k at work and Java is needed for the pie charts and stuff and I have online banking which would not too well with out it.

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

A fair argument on needing Oracle Sun Java or not here

JavaRA has moved

Update your Bookmarks.

Regards,

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  9. siljaline

More evidence presents that ongoing Java vulnerabilities posted by F-Secure indicate a computer without Oracle Sun Java is probably safer.

10. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Okay, I went ahead and disabled it in IE since I rarely use IE for anything, anyway. However, will I be "safer" if I disable the add-on in Firefox, but not in Chrome, and then use Chrome (and only Chrome) for sites that use Java? I mean, both browsers use the same plugin (npjp2.dll), right?

11. siljaline

Since I don't use Chrome, I could not give you a definitive answer as to what to disable - the consensus is Oracle Java should be removed completely across all Browsers and platforms. I have yet to do this.

This would be to say, disable all plug-ins, extensions, etc without uninstalling the actual application. As to alternatives to Oracle Java, I have none to offer at this time.

This is strictly user choice based on Java Exploits noted over a year or more.

12. siljaline

Download, Release Notes

13. Hungry Man

Have any of these exploits been shown to work against an EMET'd Java?

14. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

15. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

16. Hungry Man

Interesting. Thank you MrBrian.

17. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

With the Opera browser, using Java is not a problem.

I keep plugins disabled in global preferences, so no chance of getting a Java exploit if redirected to a compromised site.

If the Java plugin is needed on a trusted site, as I encountered this evening in sending some documents to my insurance company -- their page uses Java to upload/scan attachments -- it's just a few clicks to enable it:

usaa_java.gif

----
    rich

18. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

19. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Heck, it's just like Silverlight... the more I think it's useless, the more I find services using it. Recently, it was a regular expressions website. Java is the same thing. Many may not need it, at all - so uninstall it; those needing it, once in a while - disable it, until you need it. Is this really so hard to accomplish? :argh:

On a side note, I'm pretty sure a lot are also wishing the good ads thing of Adblock Plus to die too. :D (Sorry folks, I just couldn't resist. :D) Our wishes simply don't come true, most of the times. :shifty:

-edit-

I'd like to see Java to work on a low integrity level, though. Or, in other words, a sandbox.

20. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

Yes. I definitely agree. Oracle imho doesn't even try and just bank on the fact that it's hard to "ditch" Java at this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.