Display problems on a Toshiba laptop - lines on the screen

Discussion in 'hardware' started by roger_m, Sep 11, 2016.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I have a Toshiba Qosmio X500 laptop to fix, which has screen problems, as you can see in the following pictures.

Toshiba.jpg Toshiba 2.jpg
    As you can see from the photos, it has green vertical lines all over the screen.

I'm trying to find the cause of this.

There are display issues from the moment the laptop is powered on, so it's not a driver issue.
    There are no display issues with an external monitor, which leads me to believe that the GPU is fine.

I'm thinking that it is either a faulty display, or the display cable which connects the display to the motherboard needs replacing.

I don't want to buy a new display cable, and then find out that the screen is faulty, as I will have wasted money. Likewise, I don't want to waste $150 or so on a new screen only to find out that the original screen was fine and it's something else causing the problem.

The laptop also has an issue with optical drive not being usable as it has an error code in Device Manager. But, other than that it's working fine.

I updated the laptop to the latest BIOS, just in case it was causing problems. I highly doubted it would be a BIOS issue, but I figured it was worth a try. It made no difference.

I'm hoping @Bill_Bright or someone else could offer some suggestions.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Cables don't just go bad. It would have to be physically damaged - as with a crimp, pinched, loose connector or cut cable so it is not likely to be a cable issue, unless some physical abuse occurred. Since the external monitor is fine, it looks like the notebook's display panel is failing.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Thanks Bill. I'll buy a new screen.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.