Disks switching between slots 0 and 1

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by cincinnatijack, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincinnatijack

cincinnatijack Registered Member

Disks switching between Basic Hard Disk 0 and 1

My system consist of two hard drives, in Slot 0 I have the system partition and two other partitions, in slot 1 I have my large backup drive with only one partition.

From time to time and today after installing windows update and restating the computer, the slot assignment changed with the backup drive disk moving to slot 0 and system drive disk to slot 1, this masses up my backup scrips because they are setup to backup slot 0 partition 0 and so on.

In-order to put the disks back into the correct slots I have to update the MBR in the system disk slot and restart the computer.

Is there a way to lock system drive disk into slot 0 and if not, is there a way to writ the backup script to backup by drive letter instate of partition location.

My Paragon Backup program is Backup & Recovery 10 Home and my system is Windows 7 64bit, the SATA controller in set to AHCI.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. cincinnatijack

Need help changing cyclic backup script

Microsoft has confirmed a problem in the Microsoft Windows 7 product (Article ID: 937251): In windows 7 the disk-assignment numbers may not necessarily match the corresponding SATA channel numbers. There is no assurance of a consistent relationship between PnP enumeration and the order of the hard disks that are detected during setup. Devices are presented in the order in which they are enumerated. THEREFORE, THE DISK-ASSIGNMENT NUMBERS MAY CHANGE BETWEEN STARTUPS.

To work around this problem, is there a way to change the cyclic backup script, identify the backup partition by a label or letter instead of a source disk(0-based)and source partition(0-based)(g_Disk, g_Partn).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937251/

3. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Re: Need help changing cyclic backup script

This issue is fixed for version 11 of Paragon products. Not all scheduled tasks are linked to HDD ID, not to number.

4. cincinnatijack

Do I need to junk my Backup & Recovery 10 Home that I payed for in full and replace it with version 11 of Paragon products or is there a patch that I can apply to the existing Backup & Recovery 10 Home to fix this problem.

5. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Mech_An,

BTW, .... Have you heard anything regarding, when Vers. 11 of "B&R - Home" --or-- "B&R - Suite" is expected to be released ? Or, will Paragon *not* be upgrading them, requiring one to migrate instead to HDM Vers. 11 ?

Trying to decide how to wait for B&R 11 _Home/Suite verses just going ahead now and buying HDM 11.

6. Mech_An

You can upgrade to full version and re-build all scheduled tasks (then new scripts structure will be used).

or use Service Build 10.0.17.13146 . To get the build please contact Paragon Support team (https://www.paragon-software.com/my-account/support/sendRequest.htm). But you will have to re-create all tasks anyway.

7. Mech_An

Don't know :-(

8. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Mech_An,

Do you have list of what else was fixed in Service Build 10.0.17.13146 , for B&R 10 Home ? -- I have been waiting for vers. 11 of B&R 10 Home which I was told back in Sept. 2010 would fix a bug that I had reported, but perhaps it has been fixed in the Service Build that you mentioned and I might not even be aware that it might be fixed in the latest service build. So, it would be great to know what else was fixed in the service build.

9. cincinnatijack

I have the full version but my build is 10.0.11.12215, I put in a request for the Service Build 10.0.17.13146 and I am waiting for it.

Boy, it would be nice to have an up to date list of all the Service Builds for B&R 10 Home or get a message each time a new one is published.

10. Mech_An

Unfortunately Service Builds are made for Support only. But if there will be Service Pack for B&R 10 you can always check it as follows:
    Go to Help- About - Check for updates.

11. cincinnatijack

I received and installed the Service Build 10.0.17.13146 and after generating new cyclic tasks and restarting my computer few times to switch the disk numbering I ended up with the backup disk as disk 0 and system disk as disk 1, the cyclic tasks were unsuccessful trying to backup my backup partition instead of my system partition.
    Looking into it I found that the cyclic backup scripting didn't change, they are using the disk index number (base 0) and partition index number instead of disk ID number, using the smart backup task I got the disk ID number and replaced the "select disk" in the script from value(g_Disk) to my source disk ID number "CA072FDD" I left the partition number as base 0; this worked fine in the cyclic backup scripted task but I was afraid to use this fix permanently because the script is using the value(g_Disk) in image name generation and I don't want to risk my backups.

As of now, after each start up I have to check the disk numbering to verify that it is correct.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  12. cincinnatijack

B&R 10 newer build is incompatible with older builds

I received the Service Build 10.0.17.13146 and reworked my tasks to make incremental backups without the cyclic function, It is working fine and making backups.

To test my backup archives, I tried doing a recovery from the new backup archives using the old WinPE build 10.0.11.12215 that is the only one that I have, to my surprise I received the "Incompatible Version of the archive" message, no luck in recovering archives with the 12215 build of B&R 10. I Made a new recovery CD using the recovery media builder in the Service Build 10.0.17.13146, it is Linux based CD and it is working fine, but I prefer the WinPE version of the recovery CD.

Warning, if you are changing B&R 10 build to a newer one, chances are the the older recover function will not work.

13. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Re: B&R 10 newer build is incompatible with older builds

New, v. 11 programs can restore images created with older versions. Old programs cannot restore images created with v. 11.

14. cincinnatijack

I discovered that Paragon Backup & Recovery™, version 10.0, release 17, build 13146 (25.03.11 ) Home, is using the Paragon Base Services Library, version 1.1, build 11746, the official explanation from Paragon Services is:
    The format of the archives in the new versions of Paragon programs was changed and now the following situation is taking place:
    - the archives which were created using the old versions can be restored with the new versions of the programs
    - but the new archives (created with the new versions of the programs) can not be restored using the old versions of the programs.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.