Disk Snapshot Question

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by WilliamP, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

If I use Disk Snapshot to make a snapshot to an external hard drive,then have a drive failure, can the hard drive be removed from the external enclosure ,insalled in the computer and bootedo_O

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Do you mean Drive Snapshot by chance?

3. WilliamP

Yes. I keep getting the wording mixed up. Hows everything Pete?

4. Peter2150

Hi Bill

I am fine. I don't believe that would work with Drive Snapshot or in fact with any of the disk imaging programs. Even retrospect which is a backup program uses a special format, and files need to be restored. I think that feature is somewhat unique to CMS. But if I am not mistaken you can use that CMS drive as an external USB drive. Also if I remember right you wanted to upgrade. Think we covered that in another post.

Pete

5. WilliamP

A lot of things have changed. I put in a 120 GB hard drive so I could run First Defense. Then I got Perfect Disk. I had removed Bounce Back and reinstalled the original software that came with the system. What I want to do now is put a 120 GB drive in the Backup drive and was wondering about Drive Snapshot.

6. WilliamP

I E-Mailed Tom Ehlert at Drive Snapshot with the same question and he said that it would boot. The attached is what he said.

Attached Files:

7. Peter2150

Now that is downright clever. Tom aside from being very responsive is a very smart windows/dos person. One could do that with any imaging program.

One of the things I've wanted to do is restore and image from one external drive to another just to test it. Bingo.

8. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

If you have a complete image file of a primary ACTIVE partition containing the OS, then you can restore that image file to ANY PRIMARY MASTER HD, and use that HD to reboot the PC. This applies to ANY imaging software. Just make sure that the new HD has an active PRIMARY partition at least as big as the image file (no compression). For a compressed image file, you need to double the size of the active PRIMARY partition.

9. WilliamP

You smart guys will have to tell me how to set that up.

10. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Drive SnapShot does not include a partitioning software. Therefore, you will need to format the new HD (create one large primary active partition) using the new HD setup utility.

With Bootit NG, just switch the bad internal HD with the new internal HD (set the jumper on the back to Cable Select). Use the Bootit disc to create one large primary C partition in the new HD. Hook up the external HD. Reboot, and use the Bootit disc to restore the image file from the external HD to the new internal HD.

11. WilliamP

Ok guys, my question was ,get a new external HD ,do a snapshot to it. Then if the HD in the computer fails remove the HD from the external enclosure and install it in the computer. Will it boot?

12. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

AS IS, the external HD WILL NOT BOOT.

If the external HD will connect to the primary Master IDE cable inside the PC, then you can use a non-destructive partitioning software to create an additional primary active C partition large enough to handle the image file, and restore the good image file to that partition.

You are making this a much more complicated solution. Just buy a new internal HD, format it with one primary active partition that will handle the size of the image file, and dump the good image file from the external HD there!

13. WilliamP

If my C drive was to fail ,how would I be able to format the new drive after it is installed?

14. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

The HD comes with a utility disc. The software can also be downloaded from the HD mfr's website.

15. WilliamP

So if I understand correctly ,you can install the new drive,use the installation CD to boot up,format and partition the new drive, Then copy the system from the external drive to the new internal drive. Would Drive Snapshot handle the copying from the ext.to the int? But I was just wondering how this can be done when you have a drive with nothing on it?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  16. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

The new drive is formatted and ready to accept data. That's how people CLEAN install windows.

Reboot with the Snapshot bootdisc and it should detect the new internal HD and the external HD. There should be an option to copy the image file from the ext to int HD. Again, you can confirm this by emailing Snapshot's support.

17. WilliamP

Thank you Nod32_9 for your help. It seems that you like Bootit. Have you used both Drive Snapshot and Bootit?

18. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I've tested both but currently using Bootit. SnapShot isn't bad, but it cannot image a hidden primary active partition. Plus I don't trust imaging software that run IN windows. Bootit is a much more powerful software that's quite easy to use. I also like the support and excellent upgrade policy. All for only $35.

19. WilliamP

From what I have read, with Drive Snapshot you can keep the image updated like you can FD-ISR. Can Bootit do the same?

20. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I think you're talking about incremental update. Personally, I think this is for the birds. The smaller incremental image file is worthless if the master image file is damaged. Take the time to do it right the first time. If you have a complete image file, then you can restore that image file to any blank HD.

Bootit and Snapshot does not support incremental update. That may may have changed with the latest version of Snapshot.

21. WilliamP

I'm not sure where I got the idea,but I was under the impression that you could update the backup image like you can with FD-ISR . So if it can't be updated how do you keep it current? Do you have to remove one then run another?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  22. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Create another image file. Delete the older image file when the partition is full. I work smart, not hard. That's why I keep my OS as small as possible. My WXP Pro partition is around 700MB. At high compression, the image file reduces to about 340MB. It takes less than 3 minutes to image this partition.

23. WilliamP

Right now I have a CMS Peripherals ABS Backup System. I am not too happy with their software. It excludes by default things that I don't think should be excluded. What I want to do is put a larger drive in the CMS enclosure. Right now it is 40 GB. I want to be able to back up my whole drive to it. About 16 GB. Then if my internal drive was to die I could load from the external to the new internal. I'm just not sure what to use. If I get Bootit NG is there any need for IFW or IFD? Also how good would Bootit be for what I want to do. I have FD-ISR and love it but of course it wouldn't help if the drive dies. I am attaching the exclusions in the CMS program.

Attached Files:

24. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I rely 100% on Bootit and couldn't think of a case where you MUST use IFD/IFW to restore the image file. Note that Bootit runs OUTSIDE of windows.

The only way you will know if Bootit will work for you is to install it in your system and give it a complete test. DO NOT wait for disaster to strike before attempting to recover the image file from the external HD. Generate a CMS backup so you can undo Bootit if it causes problem for you.

A good image file should copy everything in the partition.

25. WilliamP

Thanks NOD_9. What do you think about those excludes? The CMS drive is supposed to be bootable if installed in the computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.