Disappearing Icons

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by William Bailey, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Good Morning;
    I finally took the plunge, treated myself and bought TDS-3. I'm glad I did.. None better...

Need some help here..

I have numerous progarms loaded on startup including Kaspersky AV and Agnitum Post Firewall. I noticed immediately that the icons for both programs, after I restarted, are missing from the System Tray... Oops.. That's not good as it "looks" the programs aren't loaded at all.. I brough up Task Manager and I think I'm OK as they run as System Services... Not just your average run of the mill progarms now, this is my AV and my firewall... I've got to make sure they're loaded...

All this behavior started immediately after I installed TDS-3.

I can restart numerous times, but the behavior is the same.. i'm really stuck here.. the other downside is even through the program "may" be running as a System Service, I have no access to the progarms's controls unless I maually execute the program through it's respective folder... And that is a hassle..

Anyone seen this before? Is there a fix?

Thanks,

B

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi William,

Welcome to Wilders!

A couple of quick questions....
    What is your OS?
    Do you have the box in TDS-3 Configuration set to run TDS at start-up?

Regards,
    Kent

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Good questions puf_m_d :)

From this statement I assume that you are starting TDS3 automatically, if you are running XP it may be better to start TDS3 manually after the other programmes have loaded as the start up scans may be interfering with the other programmes.

HTH Pilli

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

William,

I fired up another XP Pro box with both KAV and OutPost Pro running resident, in combo with TDS in order to check this out. No such problems at all. Apart from Kent's valid questions: which other apps are loaded on startup?

regards.

paul

5. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi Pilli,

You went where I was going :D . I have a shortcut in my startup folder for TDS to avoid this problem ;) .

Regards,
    Kent

6. TDS-3 is configured to load on startup... BTW, the OS is XP SP1.
    I just reconfigured TDS-3 to start manually.. Hoping the other programs would load correctly... They did not... Outpost and Kaspersky still do not load...

Progarms loading on startu? Outpost, Kaspersky, Spampal for Windows (awesome free anti-spam tools...) IMSECURE, AdMuncher, Creative Media Center (For my DVD Audio) and a little system temp monitoring utility..

This is very baffling... I don't mind starting TDS-3 manually, but not have other prograns load is not good... But are they really loaded??

Guys thanks for the quick and detailed replies... Great program.. Seems like a ton of great folks on this Forum..

But I'm still stuck...

Thanks,

B

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Very basic question here: did you close all other applications, security programs, also the possible resident protection etc when installing TDS and did you reboot afterwards, after which all other programs could be started again?

Other's configured TDS to start in the autostart as well but with some delay till after all the other stuff has started to give it some extra room for it's initial scans. Manually starting is another option of course.

9. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

if it only outpost & kapersky not loading, the first thing I would suspect is one of the newish malwares that target antiviruses & firewalls to stop them working

go to https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12516 and download 'Hijack This!'.
    make sure it is placed into it's own folder, not a temporary folder. Then doubleclick the Hijackthis.exe.
    Click the "Scan" button, when the scan is finished the scan button will become "Save Log" click that and save the log.
    Go to where you saved the log and click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" then Paste the log back here in a reply.
    It will possibly show issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required,
    so do NOT fix anything yet.
    Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

10. I really appreciate the timely responses here..

I ran Hickthis!.. On my system I would have been really surprised if there was any malware on my system.. And there isn't... I could post the lengthy log, but there is just nothing suspicious whatsoever in the logs.. I'm certain I'm clean... I take great pains to make certain that is the case..

I'm probably going to offend some here but... I learned something years ago while trying to troubleshoot my PC.. It's sort of a law of physics in a sense..
    Often when one encounters errors or odd behavior the most potent question that must be asked is, "What was the last change you did?" One must always keep an open mind not thinking, "Oh it can't be this, this, or this.."
    In my case the behavior I feel, is directly attributable to the installation of TDS-3. Now that may not necessarily be the root cause, but it was the precipitating event... All was well until I installed TDS-3... I realize that others have very similar configurations ie: Kaspersky/Outpost and have NO trouble.. And perhaps there is something specific to my system. But the errors were triggered by the installation...

But there is a silver lining in every cloud!!

Thanks to the great advice others have posted, I'v made shortcuts in my Startup Folder to Kaspersky, Outpost, and TDS-3. Everything loads in sort of a chaotic fashion, but out of 10 restarts, all progarms load correctly about 8 or 9 occurences out of 10... And the icons appear correctly in the System Tray as they should.

Thus, the current situation while not ideal, is workable and liveable...

So for the moment, everything's cool..

Many Thanks,

B

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

William, I am glad you have it sort of sorted :)
    Now you could try adding each one with their built in autostart to see which may be causing the problem.

Now that you have TDS3 up and running :} it may be a good time to look at the system analysis tools such as your Service list and Netstat.

Cheers. Pilli

12. Hehe.. Thanks..

So much to learn, so little time..

But I feel good that my system is protected by the best Anti-Trojan software out there.. Right from the get-go.

Regards,

B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.