Disabling SB restricted-sites protection

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by MikeBCda, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Jan 5, 2004
    southern Ont. Canada
    Too old and lazy to do a proper search for this, sorry.

If for whatever reason I choose to disable Spyware Blaster's restricted-site protection, is that humongous list of additional registry entries removed, or do they stay and simply have their values changed to internet zone?

I recently upgraded from dialup to DSL, and have since been experiencing l-o-n-g delays when "looking up ..." sites. I've tried the "auto" setting, the specific DNS-server IP's my ISP gave me, and even OpenDNS, with no noticeable difference.

I doubt if SB (and particularly the registry additions) are to blame, since (a) I use Firefox almost exclusively, which doesn't use that protection, and (b) I typically have the same problem even off the web just checking POP mail. But if I used IE, it's a fair bet that having to scan all those entries before going to DNS lookup could slow things down considerably, the same way that a monstrous Hosts file could.
  2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Feb 10, 2002

SpywareBlaster cleans up all the registry entry remnants - so if you remove the Restricted Sites protection, all of the values and keys will be properly removed. :)

Internet Explorer does a good job handling large lists of Restricted Sites entries. A much larger collection than even SpywareBlaster provides should cause no noticable difference - even on much older systems.

Best regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.