Disabling Port 445

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by CloneRanger, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

445 microsoft-ds replaced NetBios Ports 137/9 in 98.

The above MS info doesn't mention if disables UDP over SMB though. I guess it should too ?

I've always done the WINS tab disable from install, but still see microsoft-ds entries ? By the way, i'm on XP/SP2

Attached Files:

• 445.png
      445.png
      File size:
      1.6 KB
      Views:
  2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

The simplest way to close port 445 is with a little utility called WWDC (Windows Worm Doors Cleaner 1.4.1). If you can't find it, I can upload you a copy. If you want to make the changes manually, these changes were recorded by Inctrl5 when I used it. On a virtual XP-SP2 test unit, it makes the following changes:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NetBT\Parameters "SmbDeviceEnabled"
    value changed from
    01, 00, 00, 00
    to
    00, 00, 00, 00

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters "SmbDeviceEnabled"
    value changed from
    01, 00, 00, 00
    to
    00, 00, 00, 00

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet3\Services\Http\Parameters
    existing value removed. Don't remove subkeys.

HTH

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ noone_particular

Hi & Thanks for reminding me about WWDC :thumb: :) I must admit it's the only thing i forgot to include when i last reinstalled XP :( Funny how we can forget things, especially as i've recommended it lots of times on here over the years to others ! I'm sure i even had it on 98SE too, & recommended it then as well.

It's in now

wwdc.png

All the other items were already disabled ;) Except, as i mentioned earlier, i had already done the Wins trick for NetBios, but WWDC showed it could still disable it in some way/s ? I guess it made extra REG changes ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.