Disabling ESET security.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by xkyborg, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xkyborg

xkyborg Registered Member

Hello.

I'm new here, and I have few questions about security (I have ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4):

I heard that prior any software installation it is recommended to disable all running programs running in the background (including Antivirus), in order to install programs, games, and drivers successfully, without mistakes. But some people says that it's optional. So, for example, if i'm installing software (like Skype, which downloads Setup Files directly from internet) or updating software via built-in updater, it is safe to install/update software when antivirus protection is temporarily disabled (I mean, can any malware enter into my PC from internet in this way, during software installation/update process)? Or it is just a myth ... ? I noticed that many programs, games recommends temporarily to turn off antivirus protection during the installation process (in documentations)...

... And a second question: can I run ESET NOD32 Antivirus together with Windows Defender at the same time? I always run them both, but friend said that I need to turn off Windows Defender, because there can be issues running them both.

Thanks in advance (and sorry for my poor English). :)

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

The only time I disable AV is when installing Service Packs or if on rare occasion some game fails install. Otherwise I keep it on. Windows defender can stay on unless you are noticing that the 2 clash

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

An alternative to disabling your anti-virus is to download whatever the installation package may be, take your PC offline, install the software, re-boot, if required, then, go back online.

The answer to your second query is that that Windows Defender has no compatability issues with NOD32. If you are running a machine wth Microsoft Security Essential installed, that presents a conflict.

4. xkyborg

xkyborg Registered Member

Another example - if I have no malware on PC (PC is 100% clean), my Antivirus is disabled, and I'm online with Skype (just Online, doing nothing (not sending/receiving messages/file transfers)), and in Windows Firewall I choose an option "Block all incoming connections, including those in the list of allowed programs". I think that then all ports should be stealthed, and "Bot Scanners", Worms, or Hackers should'nt compromise Skype connection and enter inside PC. What then? Malware still can bypass the barrier?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.