Disabling antispam

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by DMorgan002, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMorgan002

DMorgan002 Registered Member

Hello,

I use Thunderbird in IMAP mode to access my Gmail accounts and Gmail has a superb spam engine so I have disabled the antispam module in the beta of ESS 4.

Regardless of disabling this module every time I open Thunderbird it will create an ESET antispam folder in every account. The settings for the (disabled) antispam module do not even SAY to create a folder! :blink:

I own ESS 3 and it did this a couple of times but then stopped but this new version does it consistently every single time.

I have even tried disabling all email scanning and it is still doing this.

2. PatG

PatG Registered Member

I share your pain also. Running TB and noticed I was losing some good emails. I disabled the AntiSpam module to prevent approved email going into that folder w/out ever seeing them. Folder remains but not collecting email anymore. Perhaps that specific module will be repaired before the next release as ESET clearly states that TBird isn't being supported ATT.

3. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

I abide by the premise that end-user SPAM control is a time-wasting, futile endeavor that has no solution. The algorithms that best control this are only effective using large quantities of SPAM candidates only available upstream at the ISP level at a minimum. I've had good control with Earthlink, and now with Gmail. Earthlink offered 3-levels; good, suspect, and confirmed filters for email. Also, I recommend OpenDNS that further throttles the nasties. At the end-user level, the best that can be achieved is a "suspect" filter.

4. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Sorry Gary, but don't agree w/you about fighting SPAM. Have been using a program called, "ChoiceMail One" that stops it dead in its tracks. Works on the premise that unless you're in my address book, it automatically sends the sender a pre-written email stating that if he/she wants access, need to get approved by return mail. No doubt, plenty of spam sent and its configurable to delete it if nothing received in a specified time. Been using for about 3 years now and wouldn't use email w/out it! :)

5. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

Your solution is email whitelisting, not an intelligent, algorithm-based antispam as is usually defined. But you're right in the sense that it works now and is semi-automatic which makes the process painless. But what happens when the SPAMmers notice an increasing volume to their "non-monitored" return addresses and automatically SPAM respond? Then your back to square one; its only a matter of time.....

6. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Like I said, 3 years using it and your scenerio hasn't occured yet. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.