Differential Backup Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dewster, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewster

dewster Registered Member

Good Folks,

As much as I have been reading in the forums, all I can glean concerning True Image Worstation backups is still a wee bit confusing to me.
    I was hoping that one of the brighter stars on the forum could help elucidate my concerns.

My question, is simply this, if I have the required one PRIMARY MAJOR BACKUP, and then thereafter do a single "DIFFERENTIAL BACKUP" each week, MAY I THEN THEREAFTER DELETE ALL OF THE ADDITIONAL DIFFERENTIAL BACKUPS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE LAST MOST CURRENT ONE?
    In other words, will I be able to restore my computer with just a PRIMARY MAJOR BACKUP, and the most current single DIFFERENTIAL BACKUP?

Thank You for your time and consideration.

With Best Regards,

John

2. dld

dld Registered Member

There is much useful discussion re: differential\incremental here.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dewster,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Yes, you will surely be able to restore the latest differential backup having just this backup and the initial full backup this particular differential is based on.

However, there is a known issue in the current version of Acronis True Image which prevents one from being able to validate the set of backups consisting of the initial full and a number of subsequent incremental backups if there is only the initial full and latest differential backups (e.g. all differentials except the latest one are deleted). This issue is known and will certainly be fixed in the future builds\versions of Acronis True Image. We are very sorry if this causes you any inconveniences.

Please see thread mentioned by dld for further details. We also recommend that you take a look at this previous thread.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. kendor

kendor Registered Member

Hi, Alexey

"However, there is a known issue in the current version of Acronis True Image which prevents one from being able to validate the set of backups consisting of the initial full and a number of subsequent incremental backups if there is only the initial full and latest differential backups (e.g. all differentials except the latest one are deleted). This issue is known and will certainly be fixed in the future builds\versions of Acronis True Image. We are very sorry if this causes you any inconveniences."

I take it that "incremental" should read "differential".

Acronis has been saying for years that the bug will be fixed.

And the manual makes no mention of the bug as far as I can see. One has to find out the hard way.

This doesn't seem up to Acronis' normal high standard.

Ken

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Ken,

A slip of the tongue so to speak. Clearly Alexey meant to say "differential".

"Years" o_O. Let's not exaggerate too much here - the problem was first reported in February of this year. However, I agree that it's high time it was fixed.

Regards

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kendor,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, you are right. We are sorry for misleading you. It should be read as:

Also please note that this behaviour of Acronis True Image is described in Chapter 10.1 "Validating backup archives" of the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. kendor

kendor Registered Member

Hi, Menorcaman

Well, a bit earlier than February 2006 - see eg:

< December 24th, 2005, 12:42 AM
    adolikian
    Infrequent Poster Join Date: Jun 2005

Re: differential backup question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to remove an intermediate differential file, but found
    that when I try to verify the "pruned" set of files, the verify
    fails, complaining that the intermediate files are missing.>

I don't know if this is the earliest post on the point but "years" was hyperbole and I stand admonished.

Ken

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Ken,

Clearly, I missed that earlier thread :oops:.

So, you stand admonished and I stand corrected :D.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.