Differential Backup and Merge.

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by nodsirrah, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodsirrah

nodsirrah Registered Member

I am a Novice but I think I have this correct:
    I have done the Full Backup of my C: drive.
    I have scheduled a Differential Backups for 12:00 AM every Saturday.
    Anytime after that I can Merge the Differential with the Full Backup.
    If I need to Restore I can Restore the C: drive archive and it will include the Differencial that was Merged to it. Which means it will be current up to the date of the Merge.
    Am I correct? If not, what should I do?

2. Paragon_Tony

Paragon_Tony Former Paragon Moderator

Hi nodsirrah,

When you are restoring from a differential, simply point to the differential backup and it will automatically pull down the content from the base image.

To merge a base image with a differential, run the Synthetic Backup Wizard and choose your differential (Pro Edition + only; for Personal Edition you would need to create a new full backup instead) This will create a new backup file with the contents from both backups merged together. If you want your current differential task to run based on this new file, you will need to place it in the same directory with the same file name(s) as the original base image. Otherwise you should rerun the differential backup wizard and recreate the task from the new base archive.

You can also choose to restore individual files or folders from a differential or base image using one of the methods in the following document: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=212989&d=1255648104

3. nodsirrah

nodsirrah Registered Member

Thanks Tony,
    I'll give it a try. This Backup/Restore business is very confusing.
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.