Difference in restore functionality between B&R hard disk version and cd version

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by MrBrian, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I've noticed that the partition restore functionality available in the Backup and Recovery Free v10.1 x64 hard disk version differs from that found in the cd version. The hard disk version partition restore functionality is file-based (i.e. allows choice of which files to restore), whereas the cd version partition restore functionality is sector-based.

Is this correct? If so, a note to the developers: please consider notifying the user within the user interface that different restore functionality is available in the other version, as this isn't necessarily obvious to the user (or at least it wasn't to me).

Is there a way to access the sector-based restore functionality in the hard disk version? The PDF manual on pp. 155-158 seems to suggest it should be present, but I am unable to find it. Contrary to what the manual suggests, I get only the file-based partition restore functionality in the hard disk version.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

The Restore Wizard performs both functions.

If you click on the partition to highlight it and select Next - you will restore the entire sector based image.

If you click the + next to the partition, then tick the boxes next to the files you want - then it will restore only those files you selected from the image.

You may have to use different Wizards on the Linux/Dos cd. Restore for restoring a sector based image, and use the File Transfer Wizard to browse to the archive and expand to the files you want. Dble click the .pbf, dble click the partition , copy the files you want to the Paragon Clipboard, Next, then choose the location to copy the files from the clipboard into.

3. MrBrian

Thank you for the explanation - I tried it and understand now :).

Some explanatory text in the user interface explaining that there are these two modes of operation available would be a good idea, IMHO.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It is in the Help file - under Recovery scenarios - halfway down, "Restoring a system partition from a local drive".

Easy to follow once you know it - but it would be a good idea if the differences were clearer for first time users of the product.

5. MrBrian

I agree - easy to understand once you know the "trick," but not something that is easily discoverable at all, IMHO. I never tried selecting no files/folders in the wizard because the text in the user interface says something to the effect that one should select the folders and files to recover, and 0 files/folders was definitely not the subset that I desired to recover.

Thank you again for your help :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.