Difference between Windows Vista firewall and Eset Smart Security

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by JackWhiteIII, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackWhiteIII

JackWhiteIII Registered Member

Hi - I am going to buy NOD32 or Smart Security and am wondeirng what benefit I might get in terms of the firewall with Smart Security over the in built Windows Vista version. I'm wondering whether it is worth my getting Smart Sevurity or just to get NOD32. I am not connected to any network and would probably keep the Eset firewall setting on the default "automatic" mode. Would that still bring me some benefit over and above what I would get with teh Vista firewall? Or would running Eset in that mode just be equivalent to having Vista firewall on?

Thanks

2. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

the Windows Firewall is an excellent firewall and you would be fine using Windows Firewall and just the ESET anti-virus/anti-malware

by the way, you can use the Windows firewall and ESET's firewall together and you will not have any issues with both programs running.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I would not recommend running any 2 software firewalls together. The ESET firewall with automatic mode by default blocks all unsolicited incoming traffic, and allows all outgoing, much like the Windows firewall. In interactive mode it would prompt you to allow any communication, incoming or outgoing, and allow you to create rules. I for one like to be able to have the option to block outgoing connections in some situations. The ESET firewall can give you much greater control than the Windows firewall.

4. JackWhiteIII

Thanks both. So, for my use I wouldn't really gain from having ESS? Just stick with AV and Vista firewall? See I don't know if I'd want or know what to do with interactive mode. Can anyone say whether if I use automatce mode I get any beneift over and above Vista firewall?

5. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

I think interactive mode is question based, it will ask you on every action that has to do with network or internet, how you want to proceed.I think the question based way of firewalls is the best way, so you know exactly whats going on and when.Ess would be more configurable than the standard windows firewall yes, but you don't sound like you need the extra options.

6. JackWhiteIII

Thanks for all the replies. So I am righ tin thinking if I use the ESS firewall in "automatic" mode, I am no better of than I am with Windows Vista firewall? If so, I'll just get Nod32

7. stratoc

stratoc Guest

why don't you leave it in training mode for a week then switch to interactive? this would give you out bound protection with no nags.

8. xxJackxx

If you get a license for ESS you can use NOD32 instead with the same license if you wish. It does cost more of course, but is not totally worthless is you buy it and decide you would rather have the version without the firewall. If you just use NOD32 with the Windows firewall you will have a pretty much silent experience but not outbound protection. On the other hand, if you don't care about outbound it doesn't matter. Outbound is really pointless unless something is already on your system., in which case you're already hosed anyway. You should be able to trial ESS (if you haven't already) and decide if you like it or not.

9. JackWhiteIII

Thanks for the replies. I am trialled ESS and have trailled NOD32. I do like ESS but just thought if it is the case that the way I would rund (i.e. in automatic) is no better than Vista firewall then I might as well save a few pennies and just get NOD32 (I'm not overly bothered about the spam filtering side of things). However, if ESS in automatic mode did offer better protection that Vista firewall I'd get ESS.

10. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I use windows 7 firewall fine alongside nod32, I expect vista fw would be fine also as they both similiar.

I think the only reason for a software fw that is interactive would be to aid in catching a rootkit phoning home (so alert that you infected), or as a way to block genuine software from phoning home. Of course I am behind a hardware NAT router.

11. stratoc

stratoc Guest

just a couple more points, i only run 33/34 processes on my vista, it's pretty much bare bones set up from black viper's config. i have defender and windows firewall disabled in services, eset smart uses no more processes than nod 32, just a tiny bit more ram.
    so smart actually uses less resources than nod + windows firewall on this system.
    also with smart you can easily see if anything is connected, what program it is and indeed what it's connected to.

12. xxJackxx

I will say with the current build that I find the internet to load faster with ESS than it does with the Windows Firewall.

13. stratoc

stratoc Guest

always has done here too. and windows is very light to some of those monsterous bloaty 3rd party ones, whole system feels lighter with just eset on it here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.