Did not "disable all protection" before uninstall

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Model-Behavior, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Model-Behavior

Model-Behavior Registered Member

Hi,

I forgot to disable all of my Spyware Blaster 3.2 protection before the installation of Spyware Blaster 3.3.

Everything is working fine on version 3.3, but what (if any) ramifications are there to not having disabled all protection before the uninstall of SB 3.2?

Can I clear any information or data after the fact or am I good to go anyway?

Thanks.

MB

P.S. - Most programs do not require that the user return the product to it's default settings prior to an uninstall. In the future the programmers should take this into account and have the uninstall settings disable the protection automatically.

2. Togg

Togg Registered Member

Neither did I :eek:

I just followed the general advice to do a 'clean' install by uninstalling 3.2 first. So far everything seems to working OK, so I'm just waiting to see what, if any, problems arise in the future.

I've still got the 3.2 .exe, but I'd rather not go through another sequence of uninstall/reinstall with both versions unless I really must. :(

3. Model-Behavior

Model-Behavior Registered Member

Hi Togg,

That's what I did too, a clean install.

On one computer I disabled all protection items before uninstalling SB 3.2 and on my other computer I just uninstalled without disabling.

Both computers are operating SB 3.3 perfectly, so I see no difference.

What I must question is WHY one must disable all protection items first before uninstalling .... Can you imagine setting-up Microsoft Office, Winamp, Roxio or Nero software to your specifications and then every time there is an upgrade or revision having to reset the program to factory defaults before uninstalling/reinstalling? LOL. :doubt:

In any case, as long as SB 3.3 is working, I too plan to leave it alone. We'll know soon enough, by the time the new definitions file is released.

Model-Behavior

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I recommend the complete uninstall / reinstall approach to minimize any potential issues that may arise.

Either the above mentioned approach or an "install over-the-top" should work. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. Togg

Togg Registered Member

Thanks for the responses.

I shall assume that uninstalling 3.2 would have effectively, if crudely, disabled protection, since it couldn't go on 'protecting' while its components were being removed could it?

Normally, I am quite lazy and opt for 'over the top' installs, and I ususally get away with it!. I once had to do a reinstall of Windows because a bad uninstaller took some shared files with it, so I am wary about doing it unless I really have to. It was only because I went to the FAQ pages that I did the uninstall first in this case.

Anyway, this is a great program, as is MRUBlaster, so I will be looking into donating (I thought I already had but can't find any evidence (unless it was the first and last time I used PayPal!). Looks like it will have to be snailmail!

PS. Is MRUBlaster going to be updated or is the number of user tracks fairly static?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.