Desktop vs c drive?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I hope this is in the right place.

I notice that if I go to explore "desktop" does not come under the "c" drive. I guess I originally thought that the hard drive was the C and everything was a part of that in that anything that was downloaded to the computer was placed on the hard drive.

Is the c drive not really the total hard drive, and so desktop is a separate part of the system?

See I am somewhat confused??

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Te desktop is in the C drive. If you use XP its in C:documents and settings and then you will see a file called your name, all unique things about your login (such as whats on your desktop and your my documents folder contents) are in that folder.

Hope this helps

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I have always thought that it is rediculous the way the windows explorer represents the files on your computer.

If you were doing a search you could find yourself going around in a circle!

It is convenient to have the desktop easily accessed, however, but it might be better to think of it as a shortcut to the current users desktop.

There is another thing I do not know and have been afraid to ask:

Where is the actual location of the registry? Is it some hidden folder in C:\Windows?

- HandsOff

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I agree, and in spite of first class instruction, I have been unable to accomplish what I wanted to do in the thread I referenced in my previous post.

Jerry

6. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I did read the other post and it seemed like the responses you got sounded about right to me. But the location itself if you are just curious try this:

go to start, and click on "all Programs"

when you see all the program group folders, right click on the folder called "Startup". Click on properties and you will see its path, something like
    c:\documents and settings\somebody\startup\

well substitute desktop where start up is.

Anyway, I am sure you have already figured this out, but if you are running programs from the command line it is easyier not to download stuff to the desktop. I created a folder called C:\AAA Its just a personal preference, but I prefer not to play along with the stupid, desktop concept. For that matter the stupid My Music, ....concepts

To me it seems as though Windows is effectively teaching people to be ignorant about about file structures, and organization. Microsoft loves confused computer users (IMHO).

- HandsOff

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I can get to the folder from "run" without going to the command line. However, if I try to add /mwavscan/sc it does not recognize that. I tried to do that in the command mode, and it does not recognize anything in the path. It says that desktop is not a valid path, or something to that effect.

I can't argue that those who are trying to explain it to me can do it, but I am missing something. I just can't get it to work. I would like to learn how, but there is a limit to how much time and effort I want to spend. I have tried it every way that I can understand to do, but to no avail. I guess I am really in the slow group.

The reason I made the folder on my desk top is that one person suggested it, and also I thought if I wanted to delete the program it would be easier. I can sure see the problem with it, however.

Jerry

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you keep your downloaded programs in a folder named downloads, you can install the programs from there to the program files folder.
    I would think you need an executable file to run.
    So if the program is in program files, right click on your desktop and select create shortcut, browse for mwavscan.exe. That will put a shortcut to that file on your desktop.

Or you can go to program files, right click on the mwavscan.exe file, create shortcut, and a new icon will appear. You can drag that icon to your desktop.

You need the exe in the path.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

HI Ron,

As of now I do not have the program in the Program Files. I only put it in a folder on the desktop. That was the original recommendation. Normally I would have put it in the Program Files. I did not see any advantage to doing that, but now it appears that I should have.

I still have the exe in my downloads, which is also on the desktop.
    Would I be more likely to solve the problem if I deleted the program in in its entirety from the folder on the desktop, and then using the original exe program, install it in the Program Files? Maybe that would be a path that the "command" mode could identify.
    What do you think?

Jerry

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Jerry

Does that program show up in the add/remove section of control panel? If so you could remove it and reinstall in the program files folder.

For my personal use, I have a folder in my documents for everything I download. I install from that folder.
    I know where my downloaded programs are and I know from which folder they run from.
    You can create shortcuts from the program files folder and put shortcuts anywhere you like.

If you have shortcuts or programs on your desktop, you can right click and check properties for the path. It will show up in target.
    The Firefox icon on my desktop shows "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

If you were to copy that line and go to start, run, and paste that in the box, Firefox will open.

Rather than put folders on the desktop, shortcuts to the programs would be preferred to MY way of thinking.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Ron,
    No, it does not show up in the Add/Remove section of the control panel.

I can open the folder from "run" but I cannot change anything. I wanted to change the "scan" to "scan clean". It is strange, but on my old computer the same program gives a "scan clean" button.

If I go to run and type in C:/documents and settings/my name/desktop/mwav the folder will open. Obviously it recognizes the path, but I cannot add the /mwavscan.com/sc which I have been told to do to cause the program to clean in addition to scan.

However, when I go to start run and type in command or command cd and then C:/documents and settings/my name/desktop/mwav I get the message that it is either not a recognizable path or something like that. I think when it gets to the "desktop" it fails to recognize the path.
    Whether it would do better if the program were in the Program Files, I do not know.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.