Desktop PC Reliability

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Several weeks ago my niece purchase a Sony All in One Desktop PC. I do not know the model number. It now will not boot. An authorized Sony technician has come out and worked on it a couple of times, but it crapped out again shortly after it was last worked on. She plans to try to get a authorized Sony technician to come out and look at it again soon.

I did a little research into Reliability of the Major PC Manufacturer's. It appears to me that getting a good PC is hit or miss with any of them. Also, the Tech Support is typically very poor.

My niece is desperate and is considering buying a 2nd PC since she needs a PC for college which starts in about a week from now.

I do not want to recommend a brand to her since it is hit or miss with any of them. I mentioned a Dell Small Business Intel Core i5 Desktop PC, but she says that everyone she knows says that Dell is poor quality.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

The last time that I purchased a branded PC was in the year 2000. I build my own PC's now and plan to never again buy a branded PC for myself.

2. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

My recommendation is to return the defective Sony for a full refund and use your skills and knowledge to build a PC for her.

And, just wondering;
    Wouldn't a laptop be more useful for a college student than a PC ?

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

AS far as build quality Lenovo seems well made as far as laptops go and my local pc shop swears by them over other brands.As far as desktops I am not sure of, but with them all it comes down to quality control,quality of parts used and support when needed.I know Quality control has declined in mass produced prodcuts over the years.Sony quality is not the same as it once was or is dell.That said every manufactor have good and not so good..

4. TheKid7

I found a Lenovo on NewEgg which seems to be plenty fast for her. There are only two user reviews, both very good. The only problem is that it would be nice to have at least 4 GB of memory. It only has 2 GB of memory. I do not think that she can handle installing the extra memory herself. She lives too far away for me to install it for her. She could probably get by with 2 GB since she only does web surfing and Office applications such as Word or Excel.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108567

5. TheKid7

My niece said that Sony told her to box up the PC and ship it back to them for repair. The empty shipping box is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I told my niece that I would not expect them to repair the PC quick enough for when she needs it. She said that she needs a PC by no later than January 10.

I was shocked at what they paid for the Sony PC: ~$1,000.

I was also shocked at her reasoning for spending that much on the Sony PC: A Sony PC that she purchased about 10 years ago lasted for about 6 years. After that each HP PC that she purchased lasted for a little over one year each. So she concluded that if she purchased another Sony that it would last about 6 years since her last Sony PC lasted about 6 years. She was in Staples looking for a new PC and the only Sony PC that Staples had at the time was the ~$1,000 one.

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Yikes,I paid $ 900.00 for a 40 LED Samsung HDTV 120 HZ Auto motion on sale but worth every penny.I spent over a 1000 once on a PC Laptop,but never will I again on a PC.

7. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I haven't had anything but Dells. The first one I had for 11 years and was just not upgradeable enough at the end to keep up with todays demands. Got my second one in May 10 2010 and it's been great.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

All my computers (Even my first one) have been custom built, as you would expect initially my cousin used to build them for me but in the last 9+ years i built them myself :D

The only laptops i've ever purchased is my bros "Asus" and my dads "Acer". The Asus has a little over 1 year and it's running like champ and the Acer gas like half a year and it's running great. :D

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i do repairs all day long for clients and honestly there is no one brand i feel is really better, yes some offer better support (sadly imo sony is NOT one of them) but 90% of all components used come from manufactures OTHER than the brand of pc you actually buy. open it up and see which hard drive you have in there? what dvd drive and mobo etc...

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

There's a lot of Samsung and LG in my Dell.

12. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I agree with custom building one.

13. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

It is hit or miss as far as which brand is a reliable choice.
    It is universally known that tech support is pretty bad across the board.
    Companies honestly do not care about customers any more than what is written on the paper.

The reason for tech support being bad is the companies hire for the cheapest possible wage. And that often attracts folks that are just kinda there to do a job and go home. Not only that, the companies place high demands on volume throughput from the agents that are forced to follow scripts. This doesn't afford the call center drones any time think something through. Not that they would in the first place being paid so minimally.

My lady had the tedious task of calling Gateway tech support to find out why a new system's cd-rom drive would not function. Support did everything they could think of including scare tactics in order for her to call out a technician at added expense. They didn't want to troubleshoot or anything. Just call tech and be done with it.

I got to looking at it and found a sata cable detached. A 10-minute fix and everything's fine.

14. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

I agree.

All of mine (except the laptop) are custom builds.:)

15. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Mine too! Thank god I don't have to rely on a manufacturer. What evers wrong I fix i myself.

16. Creer

Creer Registered Member

+1:thumb:

17. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

:cautious: Not sure about anywhere else, but the worst place you can buy a branded computer in Australia is Harvey Norman. these people are a class act on ********! they tell you that their pc/desktop which is priced at $2999 (for example HP or Toshiba) and the same model and specs priced elsewhere for $2140 :blink: has their price ticket because quote: "They offer better service" what they mean by this is that they offer return to store tech support :doubt: Err :shifty: yeh ok whatever!:cautious: Not only that they also pressgang you into believing that you most definately need an Antivirus, and 3 years extra warrenty (all included elsewhere anyway) So your $2999 machine has now become over $3200 :ninja: PLUS!! get this!! check out the model online, and you'll find it's been discontinued!!! These people need to be dealt with, with an Axe! I forgot to say, that IF! your looking to buy one of these disasters through finance, the only way you can get it is though some Jerkoffs called Flexirent, who charge an arm and a leg, Plus if you contract for 3 yrs finance, the damn thing isnt yours untill the 3 years is up, as its only rented, then the damn $2999 asking price becomes over $5000 though their terms. My advice, never rent, never finance, save the cash and buy it outright!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

lol sounds like most big box stores!!

19. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

best is custom made box with as you already have screen....etc

save money of what ever is good and change other things...............

best/good hardware ....intel/asus motherboard intel chip seaget/hitachi hardisk with good cabinate lot of fans...........etc ......a nvidia card even not very expensive like 9600gt (system which have graphic card always have low cpu usage even you not gamer)...........

+ Ubuntu LTS(linux of your choice).......etc or dual boot so if one goes down she can work on another OS :D

a decent security suite like KIS or something less security(decent) less crap software make a healthy PC :D

Or

Apple :D

or

check business series they made for durability rather than eyecandy

but at end best is custom made :D

20. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Per Consumer Reports
    Reliability Desktops:
    Apple 7% repairs / serious problems
    Compaq 11
    Dell 12
    Acer 12
    HP 13
    Gateway 17

Laptops:
    Apple 9
    Acer 10
    Toshiba 10
    Lenovo 11
    Gateway 11
    HP 11
    Sony 12
    Compaq 12
    Dell 12

21. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

WOW :D

i guess by that money you can buy new server or make a i5/i7 atleast

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.