DEP(Permanent) with Opera

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Tarnak, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I have noticed with Sysinternals Process Explorer that after the Opera process it shows > DEP (permanent). I was wondering if any other Opera users have noticed this, also. Just curious. :)

See screenshot.

Attached Files:

2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

/NXCOMPAT(ible) with DEP bit is set. This looks to be an alpha build. DEP allows switching between DEP all processes with exceptions and DEP for essential Windows programs and services but
    Any reason why you haven't updated Opera?

Tarnak, what's oldewido?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  4. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I have several versions of Opera installed on my computer.

The ones shown in the screenshot in the OP, were Opera 10.01 and 10.5 Alpha.

It is just a legacy version of Ewido 3.5 that I have installed, that I managed to keep (fully) updated until AVG stopped updating the definitions.

I just keep it installed for some monitoring functions on this XP Pro SP2 desktop computer. See screenshot.

Also, what does image mean in the context of the quote in the preceding post, and how does it relate to my system since I do not use Vista?

Attached Files:

5. Meriadoc

Developing.

/NXCOMPAT is a LINK tool option marking an executable as having been tested to be compatible with DEP, in other words indicates to the loader that the image is compatible with the processors no execute feature.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  6. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Do you mean you looking further ...? :)

Meanwhile I have been looking and found the following:

http://blogs.technet.com/robert_hensing/archive/2008/04/10/ie8-dep-enabled-by-default.aspx

"There's DEP and DEP (Permanent) (as labeled by Process Explorer). I'm planning on doing an in-depth write-up in the SWI blog on DEP in the coming weeks . . . in that post I'll briefly describe all the various ways a process can end up having DEP enabled, how the bad guys can try to have the process disable DEP, and what you can do to thwart that. It should be a good post . . . "

- Unquote

and this - DEP and /NXCOMPAT troubles... < http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/33307051/dep-and-nxcompat--troubl.aspx

7. Meriadoc

No I meant when developing an application you can use /NXCOMPAT to flag the executable to take advantage of DEP.

Don't worry about the DEP permanent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.