Dell Vostro 3450 Notebook Comments plz

Discussion in 'hardware' started by operamail, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Wanna buy a new laptop for work, actually my first one. I used to be a desktop only guy.:p I'm thinking of Dell Vostro 3450 right now.
    Specifications:
    Code:
    :: Processor
    Intel Core i5 2410M 2.3 GHz
    :: Mainboard
    Intel HM67
    :: Memory
    4096 MB, Samsung, DDR3-10600, 1333 MHz, max. 8 GB, 2 slots
    :: Graphics adapter
    AMD Radeon HD 6630M, 8.802.1.2000
    :: Display
    14 inch 16:9, 1366x768 pixel, Chi Mei N140BGE, LED backlight, glossy: no
    :: Harddisk
    WDC WD3200BEKT-75PVMT0, 320GB 7.200rpm
    :: Soundcard
    Intel Cougar Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller
    :: Connections
    1 Express Card 34mm, 2 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0, 1 VGA, 1 HDMI, 1 Kensington Lock, 1 eSata, Audio Connections: Kopfhörer, Mikrofon, Card Reader: 8-in-1 (SD,MMC,MS,MS-Pro,mini SD w/ adapter,MS-Duo,MS-Pro Duo via adapter), 1 Fingerprint Reader,
    :: Networking
    Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (10/100/1000MBit), Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 (bgn), 3.0 Bluetooth
    :: Optical drive
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633J
    :: Size
    height x width x depth (in mm): 33 x 343 x 246
    :: Weight
    2.3 kg Power Supply: 0.28 kg
    :: Battery
    48 Wh Lithium-Ion, 6 cell battery, 11.1 volt
    :: Price
    799.00 Euro
    :: Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
    :: Additional features
    Webcam: 2.0 Megapixel, MS Office Starter 2010, Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Security Services (15 monthes) Skype for Windows, Adobe Reader 9, 24 Months Warranty, notebook, battery, adapter w/ power cable, documentation, DVDs, colors: bronze, silver, red
    So plz comment, what you think of it? Worth the price or not? Or there are better choices?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
    Tyler

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

Hi Tyler,

I'm a little confused by your final question.

Vostros are okay, I've used them for work and they offer good value for money.

Are there better choices? All depends on your required specification. You could spend 2k on a laptop or buy a bottom of range vostro for couple of hundred. Why do you need dedicated graphics and audio. What programs will you run? What type of scenarios will you be using your mobile pc? Why is having a mobile platform important for your work? I generally find that a laptop reduces my productivity compared to a desktop when used in an office. Obviously is great when I am travelling from site to site.

Basically, please be more specific. Otherwise this could end up as a laptop vs laptop type of thread when it should be about what best fits your business requirements.

3. operamail

Sorry for not being specific.

I ask coz I never have had experience with DELL, and there are sayings they don't offer good product. Kinda lost in fining a laptop.

What I meant better choices is that I want to know if there are better manufacturers who are trustworthy and provide the same rig without too much price difference.

I need laptop for work coz I travel a lot, like you said from site to site.

i5, 4G, middle class video card, USB3.0 and maybe a DVD-RW are what I prefer.

I usually don't play games, but I do sometimes run VM to test softwares.

Thanks

4. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

For the money, I'd say that is well worth it. The hardrive is a bit small, but thats all. Everything else is up-to-date, latest CPU + GPU, 3.0 USB, Bluetooth, etc. Looks well worth the money. IMO.

Check out Dell forums, and look around Notebookreviews dell forum I just bought a Dell and found quite a lot of helpful info from there. As with all models they have their quirks, so it's worth seeing what you might run into.

5. operamail

Thanks for your comments. And the dell forum is really great. I found a lot of usefule info. there.:)

6. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

Just be warned that Dell customer service isn't the best in my opinion. Their laptops on the whole are good and reliable. Just when things go wrong, it can be a total pain in the posterior. So difficult to actually resolve the issue, they don't reliably return calls etc.

Sometimes their incompetence can work out in your favour though. I just took delivery (on Friday) of an XPS for personal use. On the same day as the delivery they returned the money back to my card. So currently, I have a brand new i7 XPS laptop with M540 in my possession for nothing. Zero bucks. That's the second time they've done that. Last time, it took them a year to re-invoice me and I negotiated a 30% discount on the original price for the 'inconvenience' it caused me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.