Dell 8400 and Raid

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rcoole, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcoole

rcoole Registered Member

I saw this in the "wish list", "-Ability for True Image to work with SATA: single disks, RAID 0, RAID 1". Is this true?? If so than that would explain why I'm unable to recover any data from by external backup drive.

I was running in a "Raid 0" till one of the HD's crashed. Fortunately, I thought, I had done a backup a few days before. After getting the HD replaced and XP Pro reinstalled I tried to access the backup drive to try to restore a few 'critical' programs but no luck. I start the Restore Image Wizard and click on Restore Image, next, then highlight Acronis Secure Zone and click on next I get "Acronis Secure Zone does not have any images". So much for my "backed up" data.

2. Rik Bean

Rik Bean Registered Member

If you are running RAID0, and keeping the backups on that drive (which is how I read your post), then you would lose them if the RAID goes down. RAID1 or RAID1+0 would overcome this problem. Or was the secure zone on the external drive. If so, I'm guessing that TI must store information about the secure zone on the system drive. For that reason, I just make backups in a folder on an external drive (and then make a copy of them on another drive).

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

RAID 0 makes a drive big and fast, but if you lose one drive all the data on both drives is lost.

However, if you made an image of your RAID 0 drives to an external drive, the image should be there.

Things are more complicated if you originally created a secure zone on the external drive and put the image in it. Since there can only be one Secure Zone, try removing the Secure Zone that you appear to have created on the new RAID 0 array. Then look for a Secure Zone on the external drive.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rcoole,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Acronis True Image does support most of the RAID configurations. There are several controllers that are currently unsupported, however, but it means only that if you have one of these controllers and boot from Acronis Bootable CD you will see two separate drives instead of one. Under Windows ALL RAID configurations are supported providing you may use them under Windows.

Concerning your particular case, please clarify where you stored the images? If you have two Acronis Secure Zones in the system Acronis True Image will work with both, i.e. you will be able to choose which Acronis Secure Zone you want to use. Probably you need to try using the other (if you really have two of them).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.