Deleting old images within TI 8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jmk94903, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I just tried to delete an old image from within Acronis True Image 8 build 889 running in Windows XP Pro while I was setting up to create a new image.

The screen where you select the destination for the new image has an X for delete, so I chose an old image and clicked the X. The old image was on an external USB 2 hard drive (NTFS partition). TI immediately "encountered an error" and had to close.

The file I had selected to delete was deleted, but the old image had been split into 700MB pieces, and the other parts of the image were not deleted.

Has anyone else tried to delete old image files on this screen and found it to work or fail on internal or external drives?

2. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

Same error with TI8 build 903 xp pro sp2. Selected first of 3 tib files in an image (w/700 MB split) on internal IDE HD. TI immediately "encountered an error" and had to close. First tib was deleted, but other 2 remained.

3. feverfive

feverfive Registered Member

Are you trying to delete an image in the Secure Zone? Just curious, b/c I don't use the SZ--seen too many reported problems w/ it. I just create new complete images on a regular basis (at least once per week; & prior to conducting any major install/uninstall) and save them to a partition on my external HD created only for storage of images....

4. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I've never used Secure Zone either but I thought there wasn't any way to delete an image in it. I understood you just created a Secure Zone large enough to store sufficient images and TI automatically deleted the oldest when more space was required.

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Why not just use Windows Explorer (or the like) to delete your old .tib files? That's what I do and it's never resulted in any problems.

6. jmk94903

No, the image is in a normal folder on the external USB2 drive. There is no Secure Zone on any partition.

All images written to this drive verify without a problem, can be Explored and restore properly. So, the external drive is fine and not a source of the problem.

7. jmk94903

If the program has a feature, I'd expect it to work. You can get more information about each backup from the notes associated with it when using Acronis, and this is helpful in deciding which backups to delete. These notes are not available in Windows Explorer.

I wouldn't expect deleting a file would be difficult, so I was surprised that this simple operation crashed TI, now it appears to be a bug in at least the last two builds.

8. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

We have reproduced the problem in our Testing Lab and the results have been already forwarded to our Development Team. The issue will be solved very soon. Please accept our apologies for temporary inconviniences. Please use any other third-party file manager (for example, Windows Explorer) to delete the image files as a workaround.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. jmk94903

Thanks Ilya. It's a good feature to have since you can see all the notes and delete the backup you know you won't need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.