defragmention

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by nikki2003angel, Nov 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikki2003angel

nikki2003angel Registered Member

hi.. :D
    I have a problem, whenever I start to defragement the disc C , it says that a program is writting on the disc, so the deframention starts over and over again.
    I did with contol+alt+del, close all the running programs, and only I left explorer on.
    after 4 hours of trying I uninstalled my kazaa lite, my shareaza, my pop up stopper, ad-aware, spybot....thinking that could have cause the pb, but it' still won't work :p
    I don't understand , please help me out here.
    with regards, nikki

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi nikki2003angel,

Can you try to defragment in safe mode ?
    There should be a lot less programs running and that might help.

Regards,

Pieter

3. nikki2003angel

nikki2003angel Registered Member

hi.Thanks Pieter, :D
    I started with Disc control in save mode, and after 10 min a message came up that i had to close programs...
    I noticed that disc control restarted everytime when my screensaver went on.
    I dissabled also the screensaver, and it continue went running for 6 hour to get throug 1.244.930 clusters.
    I did the defragmention also in save mode, took like one hour to get it completed.
    After I went to pcpitstop to run the disc check and there it was saying that : "Drive C has 2% of its files fragmented, and a total of 36% of its data in fragmented files. You should defragment drives as soon as possible for best performance. "

test results:Drive C Statistics
    Volume Size 19.9 GB
    Used Space 5.5 GB
    Free Space 13.3 GB
    Total Files 18021
    Cluster Size 16 KB
    Health Analysis
    Initial Scan Result OK. No crosslinked files.
    Percent of Data Fragmented 36 %
    Percent of Files Fragmented 2 %
    Total Fragmented Files 200
    Total Excess Fragments 1729
    Average Fragments per File 1.10
    Overall Disk Health Poor. Very high fragmentation levels.
    Recommendations Use a disk defragmenter as soon as possible to improve performance.

please tell me they are not right, I defragmented all , I didn't stopped in the middle, I went till the end, so i don't understand why at pcpitstop they tell me like that.... o_O regards, Nikki

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Nikki,

Different defragmentation programs give different results, but I hope I can assume that PCPitstop would compare it to the standard Windows defragmentation.

Maybe it just needs another run. What does the Defragmentation program say when you click Analyze?

Regards,

Pieter

5. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi Nikki,

Just passing thru and saw your post. My 2 cents worth is this, if your file system is NTFS (like xp, w2000...) you may want to use: Start > Run CHKDSK /F before defragmenting. there may be some some inconsistancies that need to be fixed. The problem i have had in the past is that i would defragment using some utility but many problems had to be fixed by running CHKDSK /F. If you did not take that step it simply would not proceed with the defragmentation.

6. khfkjfc

khfkjfc Guest

you better reinstall yor os & then try.

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Don't reinstall your OS...just try to chkdsk /f /r in your promt. reboot and let your system scan upn next reboot for inconcistencies....... ...... reboot and defrag again:

you can use perfect disk for a perfect defrag...have a nice eve...

8. Capp

Capp Registered Member

The Defrag tool I use on everything is Diskeeper. You can download a trial version that kicks all kinds of a$$. I recommend it to my consulting customers. Here is the link to download the newest version. It defrags really fast without having to kill processes like some do. Good Luck :D

Diskeepr 9.0 (trial)

You'll have to do the registration thing, but its worth it and you don't get spam/junk mail from them.

9. Viva

Viva Registered Member

Help!
    I am having a problem defragmenting too.
    Can I disable my SpyBot? It does not have an uninstall that I can find.
    Does this mean I have to uninstall and then reinstall completely?
    Spyblaster has an uninstall option you just click.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.