DefragExpress from Disktrix (via email)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by prius04, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isso

Isso Developer

zarzenz, MerleOne - thank you, it's inspiring to hear positive feedback!

RAD - but that's just simple truth :)

2. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

BTW, I have noticed that DE (as well as UD) doesn't handle removable disks. Is this on your roadmap ? I am asking because there is the option of replacing the standard windows defrag features with DE (and UD), but if this is activated and one try to defrag a removable media, nothing happens.

3. Isso

Isso Developer

MerleOne,

Both DE and UD defragment only those drives that represent themselves as "Fixed drive" in the system. Almost all of the removable HDDs do that, so they can be defragged without any problem.

But those drives that are represented as "Removable drive" cannot be defragged. We did it intentionally because normally they are Flash-based media that need not (actually better not) be defragmented.

If you have a need to defragment such drives we can probably add an option to do it.

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Thanks. I do defragment sometimes my flash usb keys :doubt: ... But the most important usage is related to TrueCrypt containers. I usually create them so they are seen as removable media (because removing files doesn't use the trashcan and for other reasons). I use compressed NTFS format within, and I would like to defragment them now and then. Currently I am using MyDefrag Beta (a jkdefrag evolution) with flashdisk profile to do this.

5. Isso

Isso Developer

OK, MerleOne, I'm adding this feature to the to-do list.

For defragmenting flash-based media - there is a large number of discussions on that, but I'm pretty sure it only causes wear to the flash media, because flash has limited write cycles. Most likely defragging won't cause flash to fail because the internal flash controller replaces worn out memory cells with unused ones. But I'm sure you won't get any noticable performance increase after defragmentation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.